FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do you manage versions between revisions?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Drew Lahat
How do you manage versions between revisions?
on Apr 30, 2013 at 2:33:11 am

I have to use versions in Resolve, and I have to deal with revised edits (EDL/XML/AAF 's).
Besides being obviously convenient, versions are a required when the same take requires separate grades (which happens every time the camera kept rolling but the framing changed significantly). You can use local versions but they suffer from essentially the same workflow limitation.

Conforming a new edit means that everything reverts back to version 1. What do you do?

My current workaround is manually copy-and-paste all "beauty" grades to version 1, then copy and paste and keyframe/tracker nodes, then flag all the shots that have version≠1, then filter by that flag and manually go back and forth between the last edit and the new one, and make sure the versions are set correctly. Seems cumbersome and dumb to me. I'm just working with 1-10 minute short form pieces, I shudder to think about doing this for features.

Is there any better way? Is there any new related features in 9.1 (I'm still on 9.0)? What about the upcoming 10?

My issue is very similar to this feature request from 2 years ago. I'm missing a "set as beauty grade" option, "set all current grades as beauty grades", and adding the ability for Resolve to actually analyze the EDL in an attempt to match clip instances and reassign versions to different instances of the same media.

Return to posts index

Teo Rižnar
Re: How do you manage versions between revisions?
on Apr 30, 2013 at 6:06:50 am

Having same problems/ideas how to solve it. But hay I have done it one time on 2h30min feature :(

How to make all current versions as default versions? Would love that feature.

Color grade reel:
Cofounder of http://nuframe.si postproduction

Return to posts index

brandon thomas
on Apr 30, 2013 at 6:32:57 am

Import new sequence, batch copy, then color trace?

Return to posts index

Drew Lahat
on Apr 30, 2013 at 6:44:26 am

Except that ColorTrace, too, works only with version 1...

(I haven't tried ColorTrace in person yet, but page 265 of the manual promises "During ColorTrace operations, only the default grade is copied from one timeline to another. All other grade versions are ignored.")

Return to posts index

brandon thomas
on Apr 30, 2013 at 6:52:27 am

It'd be worth attempting to batch copy your timeline, import your new sequence, batch copy the new sequence, then color trace and see if that accomplishes what you need. That way, in theory, every shot has your beauty grade as the local grade. Hopefully Resolve is smart enough to realize you're using local grades and copies that over to the new timeline?

Return to posts index

Drew Lahat
on Apr 30, 2013 at 7:01:25 am

Thanks Brandon, I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Found this article that discusses a very similar issue and solution:
http://vanhurkman.com/wordpress/?p=1086

Return to posts index

michael stirling
on Apr 30, 2013 at 10:24:07 am

Been a while since I've done this but yes, if you 'copy all grades to local' which is what 'batch copy' is now then you can use color trace of the sequence into a new version of the project though you must 'make local' (batch unlink) in the new sequence before color tracing or you will still get errors

Here's an untried refinement of it which may been even more helpful:

In v8 I used to sometimes move clips into a new track and mute the main track if I wanted to batch copy or unlink some clips but not others as the batch copy(unlink) only affected the un-muted tracks. IF Resolve v9 still works this way then you MIGHT be able to do this process with flags and filtered views. That way you could flag clips that you knew needed this process awhile grading as you created the versions.

Michael.

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Apr 30, 2013 at 7:44:30 pm

You didn't mention the camera used. If it's Red, good luck with that. Colotrace doesn't copy the metadata. It's a bug, that I reported a short while ago.
So, back to the original dilemma. How to manage versions, simply and efficiently?
How about bringing the whole versions and timeline concept out of 1980s to a year 2013?
First, we need to get rid of Master Timeline pronto. Don't need it.
Create a timeline, using XML, EDL, AAF, take your pick.
Grade it. Now we need another version of that timeline. Simply create a new copy of graded timeline and name it appropriately. Do the changes to the new timeline, without worrying that the original will get affected.
Now the good part starts. You get a new edit and a new version of XML, EDL or AAF. Import it as usual and a new window pops up, asking which timeline Resolve should inherent grades from? Pick the appropriate timeline and you're done. BTW, you still should be able to create a "local" versions of grades of the individual shots on a given timeline, like director's version, agency, approved etc. Selecting it means it will be rendered and inherited by the new conform.
Simple...
And BTW, I'm not reinventing the bicycle, I just simply described the FilmMaster way of managing versions.

Return to posts index

brandon thomas
on May 1, 2013 at 5:15:15 am

I often find uses for the Master Timeline, but I do think it'd be incredibly useful to be able to duplicate a timeline or ColorTrace from inside a project.. which adding those two things would essentially get you to the FilmMaster way..

You can always import the same XML again to get a copy of the sequence, but then you have to verify you have the correct versions applied throughout.. definitely not as graceful.

Return to posts index

Kevin Cannon
on May 2, 2013 at 4:06:19 am

Hi Drew,

While I'll second the "copy to local > colortrace to local" approach as the most automated, I like to keep the other remote versions handy (sometimes I've kept something useful in the other versions, or have issues with Red Metadata). Unfortunately that means going through the whole project and comparing the version numbers to the old edit.

To speed that up you can go into the lightbox view of your first edit, enable the info (which puts the version name/number on the thumbnail) and then screen capture the lightbox. That can work as a visual list, Then put that screencap on a second screen or laptop and you can go through relatively quickly.

KC

Prehistoric Digital

Return to posts index

sean ross
on Jun 3, 2013 at 3:58:30 pm

My solution is to copy and paste from one timeline to another; I literally go into one timeline, copy all of the elements of that timeline, make a new blank timeline, and then paste into that new timeline. The limitation of this is that Davinci 9 crashes often when I do this on a multi-layered timeline. To fix this, I copy the timeline one video layer at a time. A pain for sure, but all of the color info, including versions works seamlessly. The one thing that doesn't copy is horizontal and vertical flops.

Duplicating a timeline would make the most sense; as all of the metadata is right there, and it should just be easy to do. Come on BlackMagic, help me with this!!! I have even tried "create a new timeline with handles"; and it makes a beautiful new timeline, not only does all of my color and version data not come across, but I also have to manually reassign blending modes.

Return to posts index

sean ross
on Jun 3, 2013 at 4:38:04 pm

If i sounded snarky when I said "come-on blackmagic", I didn't mean to. I think what they have done with Resolve has been amazingly responsive to our needs in color grading.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]