FORUMS: list search recent posts

An open letter, request, plea or whatever for a third party panel trackball reassignment.

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jake blackstone
An open letter, request, plea or whatever for a third party panel trackball reassignment.
on Apr 28, 2013 at 10:53:43 pm

Dear Blackmagic Resolve team.
Seeing Resolve v.10 and having a chance to discuss it with the developers, I can honestly say, that I'm a convert. You listened and delivered. Except one thing...
I'm sure you're tired of hearing this, but nevertheless, here we go again.
Presently, an overwhelming majority of Resolve users employ inexpensive third party panels, which all feature a three trackballs layout.
This created a situation, where a colorist wishing to use Log or Offset grading is forced to use a mouse, despite having a perfectly workable panel.
So, I'd like to request a move of the forth trackball control (Offset) one position to the left in place of the present (Highlight) control and to drop the Highlight control altogether, as it's not very useful in it's present implementation. (Personally, I never used it).
While we're at it, I'd like to be so bold, as to ask for one more reassignment. I'd like to see the Midtone control (again, very poorly implemented, even dangerous and redundant at best) to be replaced the with Saturation/Hue or Contrast/Pivot control. Although, because the Contrast/Pivot controls had been exposed on the new mapping in V10, I find the Saturation/Hue is a bit more desirable.
I'd like to stress, that this request for a mapping change for a third party panels in no way would affect the BM panel mappings. When BM panel is selected as a control panel, the mapping should default back to the 4 trackball standard layout.
For those, that secretly hope, that user mapping will just one day materialize, look no further, than v.10. The fourth trackball had been added to the 3 Way Color. Can the 3 Way Color now even be called as such? Is it going to be now called a 4 Way Color?
Please vote here and register your desire for a very minor, but important mapping change.
Thank you.

Return to posts index

Mike Burton
Re: An open letter, request, plea or whatever for a third party panel trackball reassignment.
on Apr 28, 2013 at 11:11:36 pm

I agree with Jake. The Highlight control is pretty useless in Log mode in its current state. I'd also like to see the Low and High range mapped to 2 of the Primary knobs which are currently completely unmapped on the Element Panel as well as Contrast/Pivot.
Thanks for listening.

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
Re: An open letter, request, plea or whatever for a third party panel trackball reassignment.
on Apr 29, 2013 at 2:06:57 am

Thanks Mike.
Contrast/Pivot controls are now mapped out in V.10.
Said that, if I remember correctly, in V.10 Contrast/Pivot controls are on different page from the Master Offset, which again, makes no sense. All three adjustments needs to be adjusted interactively and the way it's set up now, you'll have to jump back and forth between pages.
Nevertheless, exposing Contrast/Pivot controls is a step in right direction. As they say, the needle had finally moved. I just would like to see just a bit more and in the right direction...

Return to posts index

Pepijn Klijs
on Apr 29, 2013 at 8:55:35 pm

Jake,

What about keeping the shadows, midtones and highlight controls mapped how they are, but add the option to press alt and let the hightlight ball become the offset balance. Wouldn't that be a more likely solution?

I fully agree on your comments. Been requesting the contrast and pivot a few times. Hopefully you're right about their future implementation, that would be great!

Editor/Colorist, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
http://www.pepijnklijs.nl

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Apr 30, 2013 at 12:03:16 am

I'll be honest, I don't care how it's done, as long as the Offset is mapped out to a trackball, any trackball.
But as I said, I find Highlight and Midtones pretty useless and I personally never use them, unless it's only by mistake.

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on May 1, 2013 at 8:29:21 pm

Well, either everyone is happy using mouse for grading or everyone couldn't give a damn. Thank you everyone for your support...

Return to posts index

Hillary Knox
on May 2, 2013 at 4:44:13 pm

Hell yes I fully support that request. I mean, if they really want to do it up right, they'd completely open up custom mapping - if, for no other reason, it would save so much internet debate about the "correct" way to map 8 "log" parameters to 6 physical controllers.

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on May 3, 2013 at 5:24:02 am

Well, apparently EVERYONE is happy with present mapping, as only three people agree with my request. Good to know, that majority is all set and see no reason to rock the boat. Thanks for your support...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]