FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX-Resolve-Filmconvert Workflow?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry Crist
FCPX-Resolve-Filmconvert Workflow?
on Apr 26, 2013 at 3:41:01 pm

So I've been using (and loving) the new FilmConvert plugin for FCPX. however, I'm wondering if anyone has figured out a god way to integrate it into a FCPX-Resolve workflow. Since Filmconvert manipulates color/gamma based on what camera/profile your footage was shot in, it realy needs to be applied before you grade. However, if I apply it in FCPX while cutting, the XML to Resolve will not carry the Filmconvert plugin through to Resolve. About the only solution I can think of is to cut my footage in FCPX, apply Filmconvert, then render a master file to import to Resolve using scene detect. This is quite a pain however, especially if I want to add transitions or compositing.

The other idea is to use do a grade pass in the freestanding FilmConvert app first and then import to FCPX. However, I usually don't transcode my DSLR footage anymore (to save drive space), since FCPX natively handles H.264 now. Also, I lose my freedom to change the film stock for different clips, since I usually do a rough cut before deciding on my look.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: FCPX-Resolve-Filmconvert Workflow?
on Apr 26, 2013 at 4:22:48 pm

Wait for Resolve Ten, and then you will be able to turn it up to eleven in the grade...

(Supported plugins)

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Robert Houllahan
on Apr 26, 2013 at 5:26:27 pm

Filmconvert seems like a waste of $300 IMO, what is it but a lut based on an arbitrary grade of what they think certain film stocks should look like and some fake grain? I am less than impressed by their website examples, meh.

Another example of "one button" color to me.

-Rob-

Robert Houllahan
Director / Colorist
Cinelab Inc.
http://www.cinelab.com

MAHC-PRO 6-Core 2X GTX580 20Tb SAS Wave Panel Panny 11UK SDI Plasma. Light-Space CMS + Hubble

Return to posts index

nigel stanford
on Apr 26, 2013 at 8:57:09 pm

It's not an arbitrary grade, it is LUTs from certain sensors to certain film stocks.

What's the point in commenting on something you've obviously never used?

Nigel Stanford
Rubber Monkey Software

Return to posts index

Dan Moran
on Apr 28, 2013 at 11:50:16 am

Just grade your footage to look like the stock. It's not that hard!

I am not impressed with grading LUTs at all. You are limiting your creative control of the footage by using them.

--

Dan Moran
Colourist
Smoke & Mirrors: London
http://www.danmorancolor.com/blog

Return to posts index

Dan Moran
on Apr 28, 2013 at 12:34:33 pm

Just to correct on what I said earlier. I think you guys have the best pricing out there. My personal hate is people that charge hundreds of dollars for one "emulation" lut I didn't realise you get quite a bit with your package. Looks good!

--

Dan Moran
Colourist
Smoke & Mirrors: London
http://www.danmorancolor.com/blog

Return to posts index

nigel stanford
on Apr 26, 2013 at 8:53:46 pm

Hey Terry,

As Joseph mentioned, the next version of Resolve will support OFX, and we will be creating a plugin for it :)

I think it's coming in August. That's not much help for now, if I were you I'd batch process your footage with a stock into another folder, and connect resolve to those shots.

Nigel Stanford
Rubber Monkey Software

Return to posts index

Terry Crist
on Apr 26, 2013 at 9:15:18 pm

That is great news, thanks!

And to each his own, but I'm a fan. I much prefer the filmconvert looks to more standard LUTs that I have tried, and really appreciate that it works with my low-end setup (Canon 60D + Technicolor Cinestyle). More than anything else I've tried, this really makes my footage feel less like video and more like film (not an aesthetic that everyone wants or needs, but I like it)

It would be cool to see some vintage film stocks in the future besides the included Poloroid one too...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]