FORUMS: list search recent posts

Uprez'ing...

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathon Lee
Uprez'ing...
on Apr 25, 2013 at 11:33:32 pm

I don't have access to my Teranex today so I'm using Resolve to uprez SD 16x9 matted source to 1.78HD. Have never used Resolve to do this since I moved from old Linux Resolve with PowerPlant cards and Transformer board. Didn't the Transformer upscale look better? Or am I tripping?

Other then Teranex (BMD or original) what are you guys using? I've got my opinions about old vs new Teranex, but I don't want to get into that now.

thanks!

Jonathon

Return to posts index

Michael Cinquin
Re: Uprez'ing...
on Apr 26, 2013 at 10:23:19 am

[Jonathon Lee] "Other then Teranex (BMD or original) what are you guys using? I've got my opinions about old vs new Teranex, but I don't want to get into that now. "

If you get into that now... I give you my technique !

Michael Cinquin

Final Cut Pro - Avid Media Composer editor
DaVinci colorist
Color profiles for Color
http://www.michaelcinquin.com/tools : tools for FCP | Color | RED | subtitles | Cinema Tools | Timecode - Keycode calculator | DCP versioning and subtitling

Return to posts index

Jonathon Lee
on Apr 27, 2013 at 2:19:53 am

Well... In many ways I prefer the old VC-300. At least with the current version of the 2D software there are usability issues. For one there is no Ethernet remote control yet. Also with the VC-300 there were more simultaneously available functions. One the 2D you cannot manually set up your framing when changing rasters -- this is a huge limitation. As well there is basically only a single process available at one time. No up-scale, frame rate and NR in one shot. And, I remember the quality of the temporal processing being cleaner, which is my biggest gripe.

One troubling issue is that there is no indication of reference mode. As you know, with the original Teranex units there was a page that showed you what your video timing reference is and where to take it from. On the 2D there is no clear indication of wether reference is successfully being used. I will say that I've done several long play feature conversions and everything seemed to sync up in the end. But, it is always a little disconcerting to not know how a device is locked. Other BMD products suffer from this issue.

Don't get me wrong here... I do appreciate the fact that this product went from $80,000 to $2000.

I look forward to the forthcoming software updates and when there is a 4k version I will be one of the first to buy just like I was with the 2D. The 2D has fantastic workflow advantages like the capture to file via Thunderbolt.

OK... so please now reveal your uprez'ing secret.

best,

Jonathon

Return to posts index

Michael Cinquin
on Apr 27, 2013 at 8:45:20 am

thanks for the info... makes me wonder if I should not cancel this order of a 3D Terranex that I've been waiting for 6 months now.

As for the uprez, it's hardly a secret, just a small technique : I play the SD from computer A (usually with FCP, as it will warn if frames were droppped), and capture the video on computer B, that is equipped with an Aja Kona and that does beautiful upscaling (they call it "upconvert").
Hope this helps

Michael Cinquin

Final Cut Pro - Avid Media Composer editor
DaVinci colorist
Color profiles for Color
http://www.michaelcinquin.com/tools : tools for FCP | Color | RED | subtitles | Cinema Tools | Timecode - Keycode calculator | DCP versioning and subtitling

Return to posts index

Jonathon Lee
on Apr 27, 2013 at 2:35:26 pm

I've used the Aja upscale. The Teranex looks better then that. The 3d is a very cool box. It will also have very cool audio capabilities. I'd keep your order. The 3d functions look really cool too.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]