FORUMS: list search recent posts

When NOT to use Resolve for creating offline media

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim bachalo
When NOT to use Resolve for creating offline media
on Apr 17, 2013 at 5:23:15 pm

Watch the excellent 'The Ticket' behind the scenes and it seems that the offline Avid files were all created as a first step in resolve

https://vimeo.com/40316692
at 7 minutes

Is this considered a 'normal' workflow?

ie as a best practice should you normally use Resolve for ingesting source files and creating your offline media for editing?

I've read elsewhere that FCPX has problems working with proxy footage created using Resolve.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: When NOT to use Resolve for creating offline media
on Apr 17, 2013 at 7:05:22 pm

[jim bachalo] "Is this considered a 'normal' workflow?

ie as a best practice should you normally use Resolve for ingesting source files and creating your offline media for editing?"

Best practice is to adopt an E-E workflow that makes everybody's job seamless. That will vary, depending on everyone's preferences -- what camera you are shooting with, what codec it produces, where the dailies are going and what the best format will be for storage, data throughput, and re-conform in the edit process. If we could do everything RAW/unconverted with a native camera codec, that would be the most straightforward, but we seem to be actually going in the opposite direction to that, because we need different data densities at different stages to cope with up- and down-scale platforms, where codecs that are fine in one instance are non-starters in others. Easy to say "4K", but that's without doing the math.

Resolve is one of the most platform-agnostic solutions available at the moment, dealing with most codecs, coughing up all kinds of edit descriptors -- XMLs, EDLs, AAFs... Mostly where things go off the rails is when someone decides to get creative and is either ignorant of, or ignores the rules about the interchange and pass-through conventions. Not everything works the way "they" say it does in the brochure, but leaping off a cliff with an umbrella (because, in theory, its not that different from a parachute) is not going to be without its own set of adventures.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

jim bachalo
on Apr 17, 2013 at 8:13:17 pm

Thanks. If ALL work is being done by just 1 person, what would you recommend as a 'best practice' 4k workflow ?

Local is the new global

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
on Apr 19, 2013 at 2:16:11 am

[jim bachalo] "Is this considered a 'normal' workflow?"

I'm not sure if anything is "normal" anymore.

That said, I see DITs making edit proxies on set using Resolve all the time. Relatively common.

The other reason DITs do that is any looks created on set can be passed to colorist later.

Nate Weaver
Director/D.P., Los Angeles
http://www.nateweaver.net

Return to posts index

Javier Sanchez
on Apr 21, 2013 at 3:08:34 am

Have never seen any colorist using dit color...

Javier Sanchez
Head Of Technology
Gama Digital

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]