FORUMS: list search recent posts

Equivalent of Apple Color "Control Inside/Control Outside?"

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Tipton-King
Equivalent of Apple Color "Control Inside/Control Outside?"
on Apr 7, 2013 at 6:15:27 am

This probably has an easy answer but I couldn't find one in the manual or googling.

When grading with a power window, is there an easy way to make adjustments to the area outside the window without duplicating the node and inverting it? Color had a simple "control inside/control outside" option that effectively let you make adjustments to the inside and outside of a window in the same node.

Return to posts index

Kevin Cannon
Re: Equivalent of Apple Color "Control Inside/Control Outside?"
on Apr 7, 2013 at 7:12:13 am

Hi Chris,

You can right click a node and "add outside node" which will add a serial node after that is linked with the triangle key connection. That node will use the opposite of the first node's qualifier or shape selection.

You can also manually connect any node's key output to some node's key inputs, if you need several "outside" nodes for one selection. You can also invert in incoming key if you want an "inside" node.

Cheers,

KC

Prehistoric Digital

Return to posts index

Chris Tipton-King
on Apr 7, 2013 at 5:20:54 pm

Thanks, that answers my question!

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Apr 7, 2013 at 1:37:50 pm

That's a strange one. When DaVinci originally introduced the concept of Windows grading, at the same time they had introduced the concept of IN/OUT as well, with which you could select the area of grade by simply clicking inside or outside of the window. Color grading systems, which came much later, like Baselight and Final Touch (Color) continued this idea. For some inexplicable reason DaVinci/Resolve abandoned it. I wonder why? I really dislike the concept of outside node. It is difficult to identify, as it isn't showing the windows, when selected and if you want to change the selection, you must go back to the previous inside node. Version 11 may be?

Return to posts index

Chris Martin
on Apr 8, 2013 at 3:15:47 am

I second Jake's take on this. It seems frivolous with regards to node management. Once you've established an outside window you cannot make changes to a power window's parameters. I hate that I have to jump back a node to change say the window's softness.

Return to posts index

Andy Winter
on Apr 8, 2013 at 10:42:57 am

but on the other hand:
i can renember that it was sometimes a little bit confusiong in apple color
having some corrections inside and others outside in one secondary.

the node way resolve handles this seems for me far more clearly laid out.
every node is a correction and every correction i can easily turn on/off.

if it were both corrections in one node, this wouldn't be possible...

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Apr 9, 2013 at 7:45:18 am

What about a simple invert switch that color codes the node itself too ?

A slice of color...

Resolve 9.1.1 OSX 10.8.2

Colorist / Aerial footage producer
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Apr 10, 2013 at 2:05:19 am

Two wrongs don't make it right. You're advocating no changes in the present way of windows operation, because the original questionable idea of adding outside node would prevent an ability to bypass a window, as a result of proper implementation of outside control in the first place.
Yeah, i know this sounds confusing, but so is the present implementation of Inside/Outside controls:-)
Baselight has very easy system of Inside/Outside control on the same layer (node) and you can easily bypass either one. And there is no reason to go to another layer (node) if you need to change the window shape, position of softness.
What a crazy concept!

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Apr 11, 2013 at 10:44:33 pm

It likely has something to do with how the nodes are wired, but although it does depart from the legacy DaVinci approach, at least it is far,far more accessible to flip the matte/mask priority - which was VERY difficult to execute in Apple COLOR, when trying to combine a vignette with a secondary HSL qualifier.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]