FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pre NAB

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Margus Voll
Pre NAB
on Apr 4, 2013 at 10:00:44 am

Look here:
http://liftgammagain.com/forum/index.php?threads/wait-whaaaaah.1138/#post-6...

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu
https://vimeo.com/iconstudioseu/videos

DaVinci 9, OSX 10.7.4
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Multibridge 2 Pro

Return to posts index

John Tissavary
Re: Pre NAB
on Apr 4, 2013 at 2:22:05 pm

Very interesting, indeed...

John Tissavary | colorist | owner
The Post Collective

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Apr 5, 2013 at 12:57:49 am

Not everyone is a member of the mentioned site, so would anyone like to offer an opinion on the new (version 10) of Resolve?
Thoughts?
Personally, I think, if one could just edit in Resolve and then just grade it without ever needing to do the conform, this would be fantastic!

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
on Apr 5, 2013 at 1:15:51 am

I guess they call it online editing because most likely it's going to be heavily optimized for the Blakmagic camera, so no ned to transcode, but one thing I think we're going to get for sure, is plugin support.

Return to posts index

Joakim Ziegler
on Apr 5, 2013 at 1:19:59 am

"Online editing" is a really vague phrase. As far as I can tell, it's used for anything from basically a DI conform (which Resolve already does, of course) to full-on finishing a la Smoke. I'm guessing that's more the direction they're going in.

That's not the same as an NLE like Final Cut, though, those are still two different things.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Postproduction Supervisor

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Apr 5, 2013 at 1:54:57 am

I think the "online editing" term in this case suggests something less than a full fledged editorial system like avid or FCP, for example I'm going to guess no multicam, less robust trim tools, etc.

I think the intention here is to solve the roundtrip problem by taking the return flight out of the equation.

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Apr 5, 2013 at 2:30:45 am

I highly doubt, that company, like BM without any history in the on-line editing software, or whatever that is called today, can just walk in and create something from ground up on the level of complexity from likes of Adobe, Apple or Avid. I suspect it will contain some basic editing functionality, titling, basic keying and simple sound support. You'll be able to import XML, EDL, CDL or AAF, do basic fixes, perform grading, add titles, sound and deliver, hopefully even a DCP, all in one package. In other words not much more, than you already can do today. Will see it on Monday...

Return to posts index

Joakim Ziegler
on Apr 5, 2013 at 11:47:10 am

Yeah, I think Juan is right, they're talking about finishing and delivery, not editing in the sense of FCP/Avid.

It could still be really nice, though, if we get better titling/text generation, better (at least faster) layers and blending/basic compositing, more sound tools, and so on.

I've been telling everyone who will listen at BMD for a couple of years that lots of people would be willing to pay extra for some more DCP-oriented output. I don't think they need full DCP authoring in Resolve, but being able to output 250Mbit/sec JPEG2000 sequences directly would be very nice. As it is, we can't even make 12-bit TIFF sequences, which is a bit of a waste.

--

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Apr 5, 2013 at 7:13:01 pm

[Joakim Ziegler] "lots of people would be willing to pay extra for some more DCP-oriented output. I don't think they need full DCP authoring in Resolve,"

I have some money tied up in DCP authoring already, but the truth is that distribution and interoperablity are so all over the freaking map that releasing a drive is a terrifying experience. Most can play InterOp, but not all can play SMPTE, but other problems with frame rates, resolutions, poorly parsed CPLs... you name it. So what if they play back fine under EasyDCP? Meaningless when released into the wild.

Fuji has officially shut down film production, stock, locked and two smoking barrels of chemicals. Gone. So we are now really stuck with digital distribution -- let the fun and total chaos begin.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
on Apr 5, 2013 at 8:07:38 pm

True, easyDCP playback doesn't guarantee a thing. And then when the client calls all freaking out that their DCP cannot play at the festival, good luck make them understand is not your fault...
I hope that someone comes with some software that can test a DCP package and tell you which servers it passes, that would be gold.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Apr 5, 2013 at 9:29:05 pm

There's an application called DCP_Inspect, but you have to be a Terminal genius to install and run it.

jPo

Return to posts index

Joakim Ziegler
on Apr 5, 2013 at 11:40:39 pm

Never mind SMPTE, just make Interop. We use DoReMi CineAsset, and we've distributed fairly widely and played back on a fairly wide variety of servers, supplemental packages, subtitles, etc., not had any trouble yet.

It might just be lucky, or it might be that DoReMi's software is better at avoiding problems than others, but still, there it is.

We do rent a larger theater for review before shipping off, though, but that's mostly to see that things look and sound good in a more subjective sense.

--

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
on Apr 6, 2013 at 1:12:50 am

Actually I had clients bringing me DCPs that were done with CineAsset in other facilities and didn't play as well, had to extract it and re-encode, I guess you were lucky.
I think most of the problems are places with older servers, those sometimes are tricky, but most of the times I encounter problems were a re-wrapping was needed and the same disc was used to put the new DCP, now I just put a brand new disc and replace it, works all the time.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Apr 6, 2013 at 5:39:14 pm

[Joakim Ziegler] "We do rent a larger theater for review before shipping off, though, but that's mostly to see that things look and sound good in a more subjective sense."

You might be interested to investigate Fraunhofer's EasyDCP Player2, to be shown next week. One of the announced features is SDI playback through selected video cards, eg., BM Decklink. So if you have an SDI-equipped projector (I have a Christie), that addresses that, but it still leaves authors open to the vague differences between all the legacy servers that are out there.

I have to imagine that theatre owners are going to have to come to terms with the rapid obsolescence and turnover of technical assets. For nearly a hundred years, they have been able to more or less play a universally standard distribution format (35mm print) and now they're going to have to cope with some bloody thing after another every 6 months. Is this really a good idea?

jPo

Return to posts index

Joakim Ziegler
on Apr 6, 2013 at 8:52:59 pm

I guess we might be lucky in some senses, our stuff is mostly played in Mexico, where the digital change is relatively recent, so there's not too much very old equipment, in Europe, where I get some of the same impression, and at festivals, where they tend to have more modern/better equipment in general.

I do want to look at the new EasyDCP Player, although I still think it's a good idea to review in a larger theater with a different playback system, etc.

And I think the change to digital is definitely a good thing. But then again, as a post supervisor, I've spent way too much time and energy carrying stacks of 35mm material around, so I might just be biased towards convenience.

--

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]