FORUMS: list search recent posts

EVGA announced GTX 680 Mac Edition

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Eric Hansen
Re: EVGA announced GTX 680 Mac Edition
on Apr 4, 2013 at 4:13:59 pm

i wonder if they're still limited to only 2 of those 4 outputs.

e

Eric Hansen
Production Workflow Designer / Consultant / Colorist / DIT
http://www.erichansen.tv

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Apr 4, 2013 at 4:28:44 pm

Product details infers a minimum OS of 10.8, so how is this different from the generic GeForce cards, with respect to supporting Resolve?

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Eric Hansen
on Apr 4, 2013 at 4:36:53 pm

@jPo

does this "Mac Edition" just add the boot screen like the MacVidCards' flashed cards? if that's it, then no reason to buy this card over the PC-based 680s if you're just using it for GPU.

Juan? You've tested the 680s extensively. Thoughts? Have you jumped to 10.8.3 yet?

e

Eric Hansen

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Apr 5, 2013 at 2:08:28 am

I am on 10.8.3. No compelling reason to upgrade, no issues that I can directly attribute to the OS. 10.8.3 does have updated gpu drivers though, so beware of that.

As someone who dislikes not having the boot screen (which is why I use a GT120) this strikes me as a big deal. So I'm pretty excited to have this option. I'd say this would be my go to recommendation for someone looking to upgrade their only gpu. But of course we should wait and see what the product is first.

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Apr 5, 2013 at 11:10:57 am

I understand this is no upgrade for current 680 owners.

But for 600 dollar i would like this card with normal warranty over a flashed one without.

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
on Apr 5, 2013 at 4:28:52 pm

There was some guy on red user always going on and on about how the pc versions in a Mac were restricted to 50% because of power management kext or something. Is this true / still true ?

http://www.4Kfinish.com | owner-colorist | Hollywood, CA
http://www.facebook.com/4kFinish

Return to posts index

Eric Hansen
on Apr 5, 2013 at 6:54:21 pm

This is a total guess on my part, based on the few things i already know:

the x80 cards like the 480 and 580 draw too much power for the Mac Pro enclosure. MacVidCards sells a few that draw less power. how he achieve's that, i don't know. but it's definitely not 50%.

most PCs have newer spec PCI buses, which can transfer at much higher speeds. the 6xx cards are capable of much higher speeds than the Mac Pros. (PCI v1.0 vs v2.0 vs v3.0)

with total RAM, anything over 2GB and OS X will stop recognizing OpenCL. with my 570 2.5GB, i had to make changes to the OpenCL framework using a Hex editor to get OS X to recognize it again. because it's only 2GB, this 680 shouldn't have this issue.

the 6xx series cards are more power efficient than the previous x80 cards, so they should all be able to work in a Mac Pro without needing their power consumption reduced.

e

Eric Hansen

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
on Apr 5, 2013 at 7:29:26 pm

It wasn't a pci thing
It was like they were running at half speed because of a Mac OS thing
Resolve guys say different
I have 3 680 4gb in a cubix and they rock
Don't use open cl really so have Not modded but 10.8.3 fixes that I think
But there is an intermittent 680 bug in resolve with flashing black frames
They have not said whether 9.1.3 fixes it

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Apr 7, 2013 at 4:01:07 am

Here is what "some guy on Reduser" i.e. Jeff Kilgroe says on the subject.
http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?97669-EVGA-GTX-680-for-Mac&p=11...

Current Mac Pro (4,1 and 5,1 variant), even the prior generation '09 Mac Pro 3,1, will use this card just fine.
Anyway, it's nice to see graphics card vendors are seeing the potential market. I'm also hoping it's a sign that a new Mac Pro is not too far off. Actually, I'm expecting it to ship with the next round of Xeon CPUs. Too bad Intel is so vague on release scheduling because that next round of Xeons could happen anywhere between tomorrow and the end of the year. Supposedly the chips are ready...
Only catch with the card is it will run in PCIe v2.0 mode, which means its potential bandwidth is crippled. No video card truly uses PCIe v3 bandwidth, not even close. I wouldn't sweat over that one. Glad to see this happening. It just became a whole lot easier to recommend a video card for a Mac Pro! :)
I saw mention of it the other day and thought it was an April fools prank. hehe.
Too bad they didn't make it a 4GB version...

A lot depends on your current system and what GPU you currently have. While newer GPUs keep coming out that have more capabilities, those capabilities are spread out across the entire range of features of those cards. Most of the improvements over the past few generations have been related to bandwidth, as in data throughput, texture and shader pipelines. For computational use, it's been a roller-coaster ride. It may be a good upgrade for you, it may not be. Need more info.

Apple opened up the graphics driver interface and GPU support a few years ago now. Starting with OSX 10.4, mostly open in 10.5, but fully open in 10.6 and later. The catch is that Apple does not use PC style BIOS functionality. A video card must have an EFI ROM in the form of a proprietary Apple EFI or an open standard U-EFI. The later is what PCs are starting to transition too, but for some reason it's taking forever for it to happen. Then again, the backward compatibility and legacy support of the PC world is both one of it's greatest strengths and its greatest folly. Video card makers must also supply drivers -- just as any peripheral card maker must do.

In the case of both NVIDIA and AMD/ATI drivers, they are now supplied directly to Apple by those respective manufacturers and also updated independently. So the nvidia drivers on OSX now have full support for their range of current GeForce cards. Where we run into issues is that without the EFI ROM, we don't get video support on the system for boot menus or other operations that occur before the OS loads video drivers. Once in the OS, with the drivers loaded, we have video support and most things work as they should. But some cards still encounter issues if they have special power management requirements or other functions that differ from the default specs supported by the drivers. So without a proper EFI, some cards won't report their proper RAM sizes or won't control their fans as ideally as they should, on previous OSX releases and earlier nvidia driver bundles, some cards would not come out of low-power mode. So this is what has spurred a secondary market for "hacked" video cards where the onboard ROM of a stock PC card is over-written with a Mac-compliant EFI firmware to make everything work as it should.

With a proper EFI ROM on the card everything works as it should and no hacking. That's what is being sold with these Mac Edition video cards. It's a regular and fully functional GTX680 video card in this case, but has a proper EFI ROM so the Mac will show the apple-logo startup screen, will allow pre-OS boot menus and all that. The card is properly profiled in system info and all power management functions work as they should.
If Apple were to release a new line-up of Mac systems that accept video cards like this, I'm sure more vendors would step up to offer them. Especially if they had more offerings than a single top-tier Xeon workstation, which is overkill for most customers.

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
on Apr 7, 2013 at 4:07:32 pm

"Here is what "some guy on Reduser" i.e. Jeff Kilgroe says on the subject."
No it was something else

Return to posts index

Helge Tjelta
on Apr 6, 2013 at 10:58:52 am

Hold on to the Titan...

Here is info from: http://netkas.org

GeForce GTX TITAN works
April 02nd 2013 Posted to Mountain Lion,Nvidia
With updated nvidia drivers from 10.8.4 beta Geforce GTX TITAN works. Now for real.
attaching new screenshot

Helge

Return to posts index

Mario Moskon Sarunic
on Apr 19, 2013 at 8:11:39 am

Has anyone tested GTX 680 as only card (gui+gpu)? How well does it performs?
Currently I have gt120+gtx285 but gt120 is often really slow for other applications that I use (After Effects, Photoshop etc.).
Would you consider GTX 680 as a good upgrade for my mid 2012 Mac Pro with 24gb ram?

Return to posts index

Jon Lewis
on May 1, 2013 at 4:07:03 am

Yep I put one in. Upgraded from Lion to ML 10.8.3, on a 12 Core MacPro,. Had to change a preference file in AE, and was sent a "beta" driver so that Cuda would work. Everything was great as it felt much faster than the stock card. AE, C4D fine, PS and all the other stuff work great, everything except FCP. FCP at this time crashes on opening every time and is no good anymore for what we see. Spent an hour with Nvidia and Apple tried all the stuff, and from what we can tell it is the new driver "cudadriver-5.0.45-macos" that I installed that brought it down. I tested FCP right with the new card right before the driver install and it was fine. And according to Apple, one can't change the drivers in the OS so no going back. Not all the functionality is in the driver that is installed with 10.8.3 is how I understand it.
This is a big issue, actually HUGE issue, as we still rely on FCP for a lot of projects that underway now. So be very careful, if someone else has it working or any ideas let me know.
At this point will probably, sadly, switch back to the stock card, or continue to use PPro, which moving into is fine, but we need to update the Kona LHe to monitor now and have too many project on FCP on deadline. But in AE CS6, C4D, was great.

Return to posts index

Stephen Fenn
on Jun 19, 2013 at 8:32:25 am

Just saw this thread.

Would you only expect to see the main benefits of this Mac-dedicated 680 in Resolve on a recent Mac Pro or would an 8 core 2008 MP see any benefit.

I'd hate to be lumbered with an expensive card that would be no use to me particularly when there are no Mac Pros on the horizon that could reasonably make use of a PCI card.

Return to posts index

Clark Bierbaum
on Jun 28, 2013 at 12:58:19 am

Replaced a GTX480 Mac Mod with a GTX680 Classified, no Mac Mod. Everything runs great, Resolve about a third faster using standard candle. Did the AE CC hack and it sees it. Premiere Pro CC sees it w/o hack.
FCP runs fine, just a short test but no problem.

I wanted this as the 480 was having slowdowns with 2048x1152 Alexa ProRes4444. 680 seems to have fixed it.

Will report if any issues.

FYI, Installed FSP Group Booster X5 450W Independent GPU Power for the 680 as $89US is better than frying MacPro5.1 mother board!

Clark Bierbaum
Color Grading / Post Consultant
GarnetColor.com
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

Eric Hansen
on Jun 28, 2013 at 2:41:25 am

Only a third faster going from 480 to 680? I guess I'll stick with my 570 2.5GB a bit longer

E

Eric Hansen

Return to posts index

John Sellars
on Aug 23, 2013 at 4:55:45 pm

Eric - Besides no boot screen (and not being able to boot into recovery partition or any other drive or boot camp), do you get the following in System Info with your 570? It makes it hard to troubleshoot other PCI cards. I am running 10.8.4 on a 2012 12 core.

Return to posts index

Tristan Dwyer
on Jul 30, 2013 at 6:18:02 pm

I'm looking to upgrade my video card in my mid-2010 mac pro and was going to get the 680 mac edition. Are you saying the 680 classified worked in your mac? Seems like it says it only supports PCs not OSX.

Return to posts index

Clark Bierbaum
on Jul 30, 2013 at 6:23:47 pm

No boot or shut down screen but nothing weird otherwise.

Clark Bierbaum
Color Grading / Post Consultant
GarnetColor.com
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

Robert Ruffo
on Mar 4, 2014 at 3:10:43 am

If you run Bootcamp then non Mac native cards will indeed run at half-ish bus speed, as Mac has not fixed the PC side of things.

We use a lot of PC-only graphic intensive softs, but your mileage may vary.

i would also mention that power and heat management are not as good when using a non-native card.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]