FORUMS: list search recent posts

AAF and spanned clips

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andrew sableton
AAF and spanned clips
on Mar 29, 2013 at 11:04:27 pm

Avid AAF workflow. Mostly working ok but it seems DAVINCI cannot deal with the spanned clips. The only way I see to handle this is to import AAF into DAVINCI. DAVINCI does not flag these clips as a problem but they show up black in the timeline. I use the LIGHTBOX to identify these one by one, go back to my AVID sequence, do a video mixdown of the SPANNED clips and then export a new AAF.

Anyone know if there is an easier fix for this?

Thx
AS

Return to posts index

John Sackey
Re: AAF and spanned clips
on Mar 29, 2013 at 11:42:34 pm

Apparently the solution is to process the footage with XF utility before the editing process begins which takes the spanned clip and turns it in to a single piece of media. I'm about to start work on a series where this has been done so I'll soon see if it works.

I think this happens due to AMA linking rather than ingesting so the spanned clip remains two discreet pieces of media. Other than what you're already doing I haven't come across another solution once you get to the conform stage.

Return to posts index

andrew sableton
on Mar 29, 2013 at 11:53:59 pm

Do you know if the XF utility can add tape numbers in an efficient way?

Return to posts index

andrew sableton
on Mar 30, 2013 at 12:24:55 am

Also strangely this project is uprezzed through AMA and then consolidated to DNXHD in AVID but the spanned clips stay as two separate media files nevertheless.

AS

Return to posts index

John Sackey
on Mar 30, 2013 at 12:30:17 am

Yes that's what I found when I tried transcoding the first time I came up against this problem. The clip spanning needs to be taken care of before anything begins or else you'll always be dealing with two bits of media.

Not sure about adding reel names with XF utility. It's the machine room guys that are dealing with it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]