FORUMS: list search recent posts

Conforming in Resolve: Inaccurate EDL Recognition

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Desmond Ford
Conforming in Resolve: Inaccurate EDL Recognition
on Mar 29, 2013 at 10:25:35 pm

Trying to conform an EDL from a two camera shoot from FCP7. The timecode was synced correctly on set, no effects and everything was brought down to a single track in FCP7, so I wasn't expecting any issues... Then I see that Resolve is recognizing the wrong camera albeit with the correct timecode in at least 20% of the clips.

This is easily verified from the EDL of which I've attached a screenshot...

As you can see in the highlighted screenshot attached, according to the EDL, Clip #09 is B009_C004 with the start timecode 12:21:33:14.

However, Resolve recognizes it as A009_C004 with the exact same start timecode. It's the exact same shot in the exact same moment in time... but from the A Camera!

The same editor also gave me an XML and it wouldn't conform either. Big surprise.

I went to the settings and went down the line changing everything in the conform section, testing, trying again, testing more, and this is the best I could get. Anyone have any ideas?

Yet another conform issue with Resolve... it's getting to be that simple projects like these take longer to conform than to actually grade.

d

edl_cnn.jpg
edl_pool1.jpg
view.jpg

Return to posts index

Mike Most
Re: Conforming in Resolve: Inaccurate EDL Recognition
on Mar 31, 2013 at 4:24:39 pm

As I think I mentioned in a RedUser post, this is not really a "Resolve conform issue." It is an issue largely caused by the use of a Final Cut EDL that doesn't have an exact match to the R3D source file name at any point in the EDL. The tape names don't have an underscore, and all of the "source clip names" have a hyphen and version number, as well as a .mov extension. The guys who write Resolve's conforming routines are smart, but they can't anticipate everything that comes across that isn't what it needs to be. The EDL should be edited so that at least one criteria meets the conforming program's expectation, and the conforming program needs to be set up to properly interpret that. Then the conform will work. Editing the tape names in the EDL to include an underscore, then creating a proper parsing string in Resolve's extract from path name option will do that.

And yes, the smaller independent projects are always a lot more trouble than the larger, more "professionally" done ones....

Return to posts index

Desmond Ford
on Mar 31, 2013 at 6:53:39 pm

[QUOTE]this is not really a "Resolve conform issue." [QUOTE/]

I put the exact same EDL into Smoke and it conformed the entire project 100% perfectly. There was not a single mismatch. Perfect!

If it isn't really a Resolve conform issue, then how is this possible?

Thanks for your responses.

Return to posts index

Desmond Ford
on Mar 31, 2013 at 8:08:06 pm

Just saw your response on the other forum...

I'll respond there from now onward.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]