FORUMS: list search recent posts

DaVinci 9 and R3D clip not keeping my raw settings

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dennis Hingsberg
DaVinci 9 and R3D clip not keeping my raw settings
on Mar 29, 2013 at 3:57:12 pm

For some reason in DaVinci even if I change the R3D's clip Camera Raw Master settings to REDLogFilm and RedColor (from the MEDIA panel) later in the COLOR panel the clip still holds the original RED clip color settings..

Any thoughts?

--
StarCentral.ca | Filmmaking Blog

Return to posts index

Pepijn Klijs
Re: DaVinci 9 and R3D clip not keeping my raw settings
on Mar 29, 2013 at 5:32:14 pm

There's a setting that tells resolve what to use: camera metadata, project settings or clip settings.

Editor/Colorist, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
http://www.pepijnklijs.nl

Return to posts index

Dennis Hingsberg
on Mar 30, 2013 at 12:26:02 am

Thanks for your reply, but I can not get it to work.

After bringing the clip to the MEDIA POOL and selecting "Edit RED Codec Settings", all the settings are greyed out unless you select DECODE USING: CLIP. This lets me apply REDcolor2 and REDlogFilm, but once I go to the COLOR panel in Resolve, the clip still has original clip settings not the new ones.

--

Return to posts index

Pepijn Klijs
on Mar 30, 2013 at 6:50:53 am

try this:

select all the rd3 clips in the media page, rightclick and choose edit red codec settings. Go to decode using: clip. Then go to the downright corner of that window and click the little icon on the left (apply changes to selected clips). Should work...

Return to posts index

Dennis Hingsberg
on Mar 30, 2013 at 3:03:19 pm

this is what I have selected, but like I said once I go to the COLOR panel in Resolve the clip does not have my settings applied (even though I see the changes take effect in the MEDIA panel preview window)

--

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Mar 31, 2013 at 4:30:28 pm

Did you click on "apply changes to all selected clips" (the button on the left at the bottom right of the window} after making the changes? You should also deselect "apply metadata curves" unless there's an original correction that's using the same settings as you (i.e., colorspace and gamma).

Return to posts index

Dennis Hingsberg
on Mar 31, 2013 at 4:38:03 pm

The button is there as you see in the screen shot, but doesn't seem clickable for me even though if I hover over it is says "apply to all.."

I am using the Lite version of 9 - could this be why? But on BMD's website under R3D is shows full support except it says "NO for "Individual DaVinci Resolve Control Surface controls for all parameters."

--

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Mar 31, 2013 at 4:50:45 pm

It IS clickable, it just doesn't give you visual feedback. Try changing the gamma (i.e., if it's currently RedlogFilm, change it to Redgamma3), clicking the "apply changes to all selected," and go back to the color timeline. You should see all of the shots update within a second or two.

Return to posts index

Dennis Hingsberg
on Mar 31, 2013 at 5:36:02 pm

Yep I've tried that, no dice. Also in the Media Pool sometimes the thumbnail reflects my gamma changes when I scroll around over it and other times it just stays with the default R3D gamma setting.

The preview clip window on the MEDIA pool page always shows my changes (redlogfilm) but once I go to COLOR it is the original gamma color again.

I tried this on MAC and PC and same thing. I'm using Resolve Lite 9 which I know can not output 4k but can open 4k no problem as I've been using it with 4k XAVC files from the Sony F55. I need to color some R3D files and just can't get the clips to stay in redlogfilm.

Anyone?

--

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Mar 31, 2013 at 5:56:57 pm

The only way that should happen is if you've made changes on the shot level in the Color timeline. Those settings override the global/project setting. So if you've changed those, all bets are off.

Return to posts index

Pepijn Klijs
on Mar 31, 2013 at 6:59:33 pm

Dennis, if you go to the project config page, select RED, what does your 'raw' settings look like? Can you take a screenshot and post it?

Return to posts index

Dennis Hingsberg
on Mar 31, 2013 at 8:31:26 pm

Nah this is brand new Resolve project, import R3D to media pool then adjust clip settings, go to COLOR panel and gamma is not what I picked.

There are some global settings under PROJECT SETTINGS -> CAMERA RAW I'm going to look at as well, but so far quite stumped.

I can convert R3D to DPX and import, but really don't want to duplicate any efforts or transcode original source data.

:(

--

Return to posts index

Pepijn Klijs
on Mar 31, 2013 at 8:52:33 pm

Hi Dennis,

I tried to imitate your problem on my machine at home and I actually ran into the same issues. I could try tomorrow on my workstation, which has the full version of resolve to see if it's a 'lite' affiliated thing.

Anyway, I can edit my red settings in the media page, but as soon as I arrive in the color page those settings are gone, and when I come back to the media page they're gone as well. I did something very obvious like taking out all the saturation to test this.

However, why don't you just edit the raw settings in the color page? When you edit them there, they 'stick', and you basically have the same kind of control like in the media page. I can't think of any reason why you would do the edit red settings in the media page, but maybe I'm missing something important related to your workflow.

Return to posts index

Pepijn Klijs
on Mar 31, 2013 at 9:03:29 pm

Hi Dennis,

I tried to imitate your problem on my machine at home and I actually ran into the same issues. I could try tomorrow on my workstation, which has the full version of resolve to see if it's a 'lite' affiliated thing.

Anyway, I can edit my red settings in the media page, but as soon as I arrive in the color page those settings are gone, and when I come back to the media page they're gone as well. I did something very obvious like taking out all the saturation to test this.

However, why don't you just edit the raw settings in the color page? When you edit them there, they 'stick', and you basically have the same kind of control like in the media page. I can't think of any reason why you would do the edit red settings in the media page, but maybe I'm missing something important related to your workflow.

EDIT/UPDATE: I discovered something strange. When I edit the red settings of just ONE clip in the media page I get the problem like I described above, but when I edit the red settings and 'apply them to all selected shots' and have MORE THAN ONE shot selected, it all works like it should work.

Return to posts index

Dennis Hingsberg
on Apr 1, 2013 at 12:43:34 am

Yes I can color the clip no problem in the color panel, etc.. but I want to need to chose the color space and gamma curve that I want as a starting point.

For example I am using many LUTs that assume log as a starting point so I need to switch from RED's default of REDgamma to redlogfilm.

As far as I can tell this can not be changed in the COLOR panel but only on the clip setting in the media pool.

Let me know if you have better luck with non-lite version. If you chose redlogfilm for the gamma curve you should see your R3D clip go very white looking and de-saturated.

I have asked same question in RED user but no response there. :=)

--

Return to posts index

Pepijn Klijs
on Apr 1, 2013 at 5:28:36 am

[Dennis Hingsberg] "As far as I can tell this can not be changed in the COLOR panel but only on the clip setting in the media pool. "

No, you can edit exactly the same raw functions in the color page as in the media page.

Return to posts index

Dennis Hingsberg
on Apr 1, 2013 at 5:11:55 pm

ok that's it, it worked!

I didn't know about the "camera raw" button/icon from within the COLOR panel.

Cheers for working through this issue with me.

--

Return to posts index

Anish Prithviraj
on Apr 2, 2013 at 2:19:49 am

Hi Dennis,

This issue has been addressed in the new update (9.1.3). Camera Raw changes made in the media page now get reflected in the Color Page.

Thanks,
Anish

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]