FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED+DPX to Davinci workflow question

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Paxton
RED+DPX to Davinci workflow question
on Mar 28, 2013 at 6:49:10 pm

Long time reader first time poster.

I have a ten minute short I edited in Media Composer. It was shot on Red (I transcoded to DNX36 in RedcineX and imported along with the metadata to MC6 for the offline edit). I know to give the colorist (who is using a Davinci) I need to create a CMX3600 EDL with the Labroll selected so they can conform to the original R3Ds for the coloring. My question is that in the final edit there are about 10 shots that were sent out to the visual effects people which I gave them DPX sequences. They will be giving me back DPX sequences of the final shots along with low res quicktimes to place in the offline edit for timing purposes. How do I set up my EDL so that the colorist can reconnect to the R3D's and also the DPX sequences? Do I take out the VFX shots in one sequence and create 1 EDL thats just for the R3Ds and then create a second EDL with just the temp VFX quicktimes (at the same length and position in the timeline and also the same name) so that they can manually replace the VFX temps with the DPXs? Or can I do this all in one sequence and 1 EDL? I understand it if the sequence was just conforming to the R3Ds but the DPXs are confusing me a little bit. Any help, knowledge, or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: RED+DPX to Davinci workflow question
on Mar 28, 2013 at 9:20:27 pm

If its only 10 shots, I might almost be happy enough with the dpx scenes delivered in their own folders, add to Media Pool and re-imbed them in the Resolve Conform window. No muss.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Ian Paxton
on Mar 28, 2013 at 11:05:21 pm

Thank you so much Joseph. Seems like that is what Ill do.

Return to posts index

Chris Martin
on Mar 29, 2013 at 4:15:30 am

In EDL Manager you can export your EDLs as FIle 32 (or File 16) and it should give you the entire R3D file name as it is not limited to 8 characters. So much better! EVen for Final Cut Pro projects I've been using Automatic Duck to make an AAF and then bring into EDL Manager to make a FIle 32 format to locate select media even if we are using an XML or AAF for conform.

And yes 10 shots as DPX sequence easy to overcut!

Cheers, Chris

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Mar 29, 2013 at 6:41:24 am

Yeah just slap them in and you are done.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu
https://vimeo.com/iconstudioseu/videos

DaVinci 9, OSX 10.7.4
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Multibridge 2 Pro

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]