FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dropped Frames During Render

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Brown
Dropped Frames During Render
on Mar 28, 2013 at 8:16:31 am

I have an approximately 110 minute timeline to render from Resolve 9.0.1. I am experiencing occasional frame drops in the final ProRes export file (one single black frame at a time). It seems that the dropped frames decrease when I use a slower render speed, however I have attempted a render at 2 frames per second and still am getting a few dropped frames.

I'm using a fast RAID, New Mac Book Pro with 16GB RAM. My system does not struggle with any other video intensive applications.

Return to posts index

Pepijn Klijs
Re: Dropped Frames During Render
on Mar 28, 2013 at 8:25:22 pm

Are these frames always the same ones or are they random?

What's your gpu and what is your timeline resolution?

Editor/Colorist, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
http://www.pepijnklijs.nl

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Mar 28, 2013 at 8:39:47 pm

The frames are random each time. I can see the frame drops in the Resolve viewer window as its rendering. This is what leads me to believe it may be software releated, but DaVinci support does not have an answer. They felt it may be hard drive related, but I experience no issues with other video software rendering. I've also tried using separate high speed drives for read and write.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Mar 28, 2013 at 8:45:11 pm

You are running out of GPU RAM, this is causing black frames. Make sure you quit all other apps, and do a fresh boot before you start Resolve.

Which exact MacBook Pro model do you have?

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Pepijn Klijs
on Mar 28, 2013 at 8:52:39 pm

I think the same as Juan, thats why I was asking about your gpu and your resolution.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Mar 28, 2013 at 9:14:03 pm

The system GPU Ram is low compared to high end cards -- 1024MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 650MT built in card.

Resolution is 1920x1080. All footage is 10 bit ProRes 4444.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Mar 28, 2013 at 9:22:56 pm

I should also clarify that the frame drops are burned into the render -- the frame drops are not occurring due to playback of the exported file.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Mar 28, 2013 at 9:11:43 pm

Thank you very much for the reply. This sounds like the right cause for the the frame drops. I have late 2012 2.7Ghz Intel Core i7 with 16GB Ram. Graphics specs are NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

I'm using the Black Magic Ultra 3D Studio playback box.

Are you aware of any work around if indeed the GPU Ram is causing the dropouts? I did a render at 2 frames per second, but still got a few dropouts. I am unable to upgrade the graphics card, and on a time sensitive project.

My recent thought was to go through and manually mark shots that have dropouts and re-render individual problem shots. Then assemble a final in Avid Media Composer.

thanks again

Return to posts index

Pepijn Klijs
on Mar 28, 2013 at 9:26:51 pm

All I know is that you need to have more than 2gb ram gpu to render out 4k images, which is not the case here...

Maybe Juan can help you out.

The thing I would try is:
A. Export to something else and see if that helps, ie dpx.
B. Try to export portion by portion of your timeline instead of the whole thing at once
C. Worst case; convert your source footage to something more lightweight, pro res hq for example and reapply the grades

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Mar 29, 2013 at 12:11:41 am

A correction: These are not dropped frames, but single black frames being inserted.

Return to posts index

Pepijn Klijs
on Mar 29, 2013 at 5:43:10 pm

Did you manage to fix it?

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Mar 29, 2013 at 8:17:34 pm

I spent another round of time on the phone with Black Magic Design support. After much investigation, we determined that the black frames are due to a known issue related to the graphics card driver for NVIDIA 600 series. The use of particular LUT's on nodes can cause random black frames to occur when using the current driver. I used an Arri Log C to Rec 709 LUT as a starting point on many the shots in my project. Apparently, I am the first to bring this particular issue to light in regards to the Mac Book Pro, rather than the tower & 3rd party graphics cards.

My work around was to pinpoint all shots that had black frames in the exported video file. Then, I re-rendered each trouble shot individually. Because the black frame issue is random, I was easily able to get clean shots. In a 110 minute timeline, there were approximately 20 black frames to eliminate. It took about 4 hours to manually correct the exported file in Avid Media Composer 6.5. All seems well now, but this work around may not appeal to those not wanting to re-encode 2 or 3 times.

Support was very helpful and seemed genuinely concerned about the issue. I hope that they will update Resolve to be compatible with all widely used graphics card drivers soon. I'm sure there will be a larger group of people getting this issue as they move into a broader market.

Return to posts index

Pepijn Klijs
on Mar 29, 2013 at 8:46:10 pm

Wow, sounds frustrating. But thanks for sharing this, it could help others.

Wasn't it possible to change the driver? maybe rollback to an older version?

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Mar 29, 2013 at 10:25:03 pm

Yes it has been frustrating, but I'm happy that at least now I have a cleanly rendered film! We did contemplate installing the older Quadro driver, which does work properly in certain circumstances, however the older Quadro driver is not built to work with the particular NVIDIA 600 series graphics card in the Mac Book Pro. Support did a test of this on their system and was unable to reinstall the current driver and experienced compatibility issues in several applications. So with the Mac Book Pro, do not attempt to instal previous NVIDIA drivers as you may run into serious system issues.

Return to posts index

Perry Mulder
on Jul 11, 2013 at 5:34:13 pm

Hi There,

Thank you for sharing.
Does anyone know what would be the best advice on a notebook.
Right know I use a Intel Xeon workstation with a Quadro 2000 card at home.
Works great with Media composer and DaVinci.
Now I'm looking for a notebook to edit on location as well. I tought the 600 or 700 series of nvidia would be a great option to keep the price low, but I see that does not work..
What would you advice?

Hope to hear from you guys,

Perry.

Return to posts index

Salil Neupane
on Jan 13, 2014 at 9:09:32 am

I have graded about 25 min film in Davinci Resolve 10 lite and
I am also having same issue every time I tried to rendered for FCPX XML roundtrip the frame dropped at some pint of time. Really Frasuted with this.

Hoping for some reply and solution for this

IMAC 21" 2.5ghz i5,
4gb 133mhz Ram
AMD RAdeon HD 6750m 512 MB graphics
OSX 10.9

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]