FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transform to color function?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Harding
Transform to color function?
on Mar 25, 2013 at 10:06:32 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have two shots, each filmed with a different camera and I need to match the colours quite precisely. They are displaying a very similar image in similar lighting conditions. So my question is, can I tell davinci to adjust the colours of one shot to match that of another by telling it which two colours should match identically? There is a near solid colour in both images that should match.

Thanks,

James

Return to posts index

Toby Tomkins
Re: Transform to color function?
on Mar 25, 2013 at 10:26:05 pm

Match the most prominent/important colour and the overall density/contrast saturation and then use broad HSL keys for 1-2 other main colours.

I'm working on creating conversion LUTs between 8 different film negative stocks, the Red Epic, Arri Alexa, F65 and C300. I shot a 13 stop range of 142 colour patches in both tungsten and daylight lighting to do this so they should be very accurate. They'll be ready in 2 months guys (-;

Return to posts index

Dan Moran
on Mar 25, 2013 at 10:41:53 pm

Afraid not. If there was a function that worked as well as you need a lot of us would be out of a job!

I'm pretty sure FCPx might have a function that does that but if you want to go down the colorist route it is all done by eye with the assistance of video scopes. Vectorscopes will help you match the colors and waveforms and parades will help with the luminance side of things.

--

Dan Moran
Colourist
Smoke & Mirrors: London
http://www.danmorancolor.com/blog

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Mar 27, 2013 at 12:47:46 am

If the shots are very close images, then you may try to combine both shots into Left/Right stereo image and let Resolve do it automatically. But if you using Resolve Lite, then, sorry...

Return to posts index

James Harding
on Mar 27, 2013 at 12:38:46 pm

Thanks everyone for your help, I did quite successfully matching one colour with the scopes and then adjusting with qualifiers. However, editor has now cut the shot so no more worrying about that!

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Mar 28, 2013 at 8:45:35 am

i love that solution :)

A slice of color...

Resolve 9.1.1 OSX 10.8.2

Colorist / Aerial footage producer
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>