FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export Workflow - Avoiding Quality Loss

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Brown
Export Workflow - Avoiding Quality Loss
on Mar 23, 2013 at 6:37:13 pm

I have graded Alexa footage (native pro res 4444, 10 bit) in my Resolve project. I need to export and am wondering if I export as ProRes 444 will there be any quality loss?

My plan is to export, then add titles and final audio mix in Avid MC 6.5. Do you know if exporting at native compression will degrade quality?

Thank you

Return to posts index

Jonathon Lee
Re: Export Workflow - Avoiding Quality Loss
on Mar 23, 2013 at 11:31:16 pm

By-the-math there will be some loss as you are generating another codec cycle. Wether anyone could see it is another story. Most of the broadcast content I work on goes through the additional 2 codec cycles for the workflow you are using.... remember there will be another encode when you output your versions.

Most "people" involved don't notice anything. Some who are very sensitive notice some softness. I sometimes notice a little aliasing. The entire thing will get horribly crushed by the MPEG transport encoding that will occur further on down the line anyhow. That's when we get complaints about blacks and S/NR.

For content destined for digital cinema I go uncompressed. Depending on your workflow you may want to go with a 422 type codec or RGB image sequence... really a matter of what your delivery target is.

- Jonathon

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Mar 24, 2013 at 2:30:15 am

Thanks for your reply. Delivery will be digital cinema. My Avid system won't handle DPX playback and I still need to sync up final audio mix, add text, and slide around a handful of shots. My initial thought was to export the graded timeline from Resolve as ProRes 444, than reimport into Media Composer, do my final work, then export a master from Avid. Would you say this sounds like a logical work flow? I just want to be sure I won't be degrading the image quality beyond what is unavoidable.

Return to posts index

stig olsen
on Mar 24, 2013 at 8:23:39 pm

Jason,

When rendering back to Avid, you should go with a MXF workflow!
DNxHD 185x (x = 10bit) is ok for the most of us.
You can even render DNxHD 444 350x.

Stig

Return to posts index

stig olsen
on Mar 24, 2013 at 8:26:26 pm

.. and then there will be no need to import the regular way or AMA for transcoding - as you simply drop the files into the avid media folder.

Return to posts index

Pepijn Klijs
on Mar 26, 2013 at 8:32:16 am

You can also add audio track and titles in resolve and save the trip to avid.

Editor/Colorist, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
http://www.pepijnklijs.nl

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Apr 3, 2013 at 11:11:29 am

I may need to try an MXF export. On particularly dark shots, I see additional noise added to the Resolve exported Pro Res 4444 files. This must be due to the "double" encoding of Pro Res?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]