FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid - MXF problems

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laco Gaal
Avid - MXF problems
on Mar 18, 2013 at 7:00:05 pm

Hi,

the graded movie was exported to MXF DNxHD 185x with the Video Levels set to "Auto" but I checked and it was rendered with "Normally scaled legal video"

This file couldn't be imported by the Avid editor, nor could be AMA'd. So he placed the MXF file to the Media Files folder, so Avid would recognise it without conversion. But the problem is that - even though all the project settings were set to REC709 - the black level shifted.

Of course if I render out a Full range MXF, it looks fine in Avid...

What is the correct method for this? (If possible, please reply fast, decisions should be made by tomorrow)

Thanks

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Avid - MXF problems
on Mar 19, 2013 at 4:07:35 pm

By any chance, was your original source RED?

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Laco Gaal
on Mar 19, 2013 at 4:34:45 pm

No, it is a mixed project using C300, 5D, and Sony FS700 footage.
Solved the problem by rendering out a Full Range MXF, and place it to the Avid Media Files. I just wanted to know if this is the right way to do it, or not?

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Mar 20, 2013 at 3:20:44 pm

[Laco Gaal] "I just wanted to know if this is the right way to do it, or not?"
Its "right" if it works.
It seems your AVID project is probably set up for full range RGB, so it is rescaling 0-1023 as 64-940.

This can also be an issue for "Uncompressed" codecs being passed between OSX- and NTFS-based editing systems. Quicktime will often default to compressor "none" in that case and the scaling flags become meaningless.

jPo

Return to posts index

Laco Gaal
on Mar 20, 2013 at 3:25:26 pm

"It seems your AVID project is probably set up for full range RGB, so it is rescaling 0-1023 as 64-940."
Exactly, but all the settings - import, and project settings - were set to 709 instead of RGB in AVID. Of course if we could AMA the file in, we could change the levels manually, but this way we couldn't.

Maybe the consolidated AVID MXF files are all full range inside the Media Files folder? Who knows.

Anyway, thanks for your replies, Joe.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Mar 20, 2013 at 9:22:25 pm

[Laco Gaal] "Maybe the consolidated AVID MXF files are all full range inside the Media Files folder? Who knows."

You should be able to set that in the AVID Export settings....???
And it is sometimes a useful exercise to toggle the scale settings in Resolve, if you are using "Auto".

It was a bug a couple of versions ago.

jPo

Return to posts index

Laco Gaal
on Mar 21, 2013 at 8:33:31 am

"You should be able to set that in the AVID Export settings....???"
Yes, it can be changed in the export setting, but it won't change the way Avid handle the MXF files inside the Media Files folder.

"And it is sometimes a useful exercise to toggle the scale settings in Resolve, if you are using "Auto"."
Yes, I always check the rendered file by importing it to Davinci again, and change between Data, and Video levels (this way I'm sure I've exported Video, or Full range).
But in this particular case - after the first problems - I didn't even use the Auto setting...

Thanks

Return to posts index

stig olsen
on Mar 21, 2013 at 10:37:45 pm

Hi both,

Is not possible to set up Avid for RGB as long as your not outputting through a Nitris DX. Mojo DX is not compatibel.
Avid works 709 internally (Davinci is RGB) and importing s clip (the regular way) with the RGB button checked will remap the full range file to 709.
The opposite thing happens when exporting the sequence with the RGB button checked - it will then remap from 709 to RGB.

If you choose to import your clips with AMA, you can actually switch from RGB to 709 (or the other way around) by right-clicking on the clip, choosing "set source levels".

The important thing to remember is that everything you feed through your decklink or Mojo DX in Avid will always be 709 (even if your project is set to RGB) and the black level that is set to 16 will be shown as pure black on the monitor as long as the monitor is set to 709 as I guess it is.

So, if you work in Davinci and your intention is to bring it back to Avid, make sure to output normal range in Resolve.

Stig

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]