FORUMS: list search recent posts

Do Avid MC "FIlm" Dissolves carry over to Resolve via AAF?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Brown
Do Avid MC "FIlm" Dissolves carry over to Resolve via AAF?
on Mar 18, 2013 at 5:54:40 am

Do Avid MC "FIlm" Dissolves carry over to Resolve via AAF? Or does Resolve substitute a standard dissolves in place of Avid film dissolves?

thank you for your time.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Do Avid MC "FIlm" Dissolves carry over to Resolve via AAF?
on Mar 19, 2013 at 4:04:46 pm

[Jason Brown] "does Resolve substitute a standard dissolves in place of Avid film dissolves?"

Resolve rebuilds the XML or AAF timeline to the best of its ability, but it is not capable of supporting transitions that are application specific. If you look to the left of the Conform screen, ("Effects Pool") WUCIWUG. It should be reinstated as the original effect once the exported (Resolve) AAF is opened in Media Composer or Symphony or whatever you're using.

There are a number of transitions in both FCP and MC that may not survive the round trip. I have a producer/editor combination that is in love with the "film flash" crossover, but the XML is always corrupted/misinterpreted somewhere in both Resolve and Apple COLOR so that instead of a brightness multiplier, the effect is changed to a scale-zoom multiplication, so there is no "flash", but the picture "zooms" up to some huge value and then back down to 1. So I always have to manually fix all of those in the returned grade timeline.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
Re: Do Avid MC "FIlm" Dissolves carry over to Resolve via AAF?
on Mar 26, 2013 at 4:30:19 am

Thank you for your reply. I am hesitant to transcode out of Resolve to DNXHD 444, as my source media is ProRes 4444. I had been planning on exporting a single master clip from Resolve for text/title additions and audio tracks to avoid double compressing. However, the flexibility of relinking all clips in the Avid project is very tempting.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]