FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need Advice On Replacing Sky's

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Williams
Need Advice On Replacing Sky's
on Mar 14, 2013 at 12:32:32 pm

I am currently working on some long format shows that usually are shot with the sky's being overcast, rainy or just plain gone! I have tried to put a touch of blue with a window whenever possible but that has it limits as sometimes things get in the way. I have about 1200 clips per show and have about 24 working hours to do them in.

Has anyone been able to do a key on a totally washed out sky, add some color and have it look realistic? I have tried this before and it just looks horrible. Any tips or tricks would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

William Edwards
Re: Need Advice On Replacing Sky's
on Mar 14, 2013 at 2:54:22 pm

Try not to make a dramatic change, keep it simple. Sounds like they should have used a filter. Hard to say any ways of making it go faster, I'm sure each scene is different. Don't you think there's limitations to what can be done in the time allotted?

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Mar 14, 2013 at 5:01:25 pm

[Dave Williams] "Has anyone been able to do a key on a totally washed out sky, add some color and have it look realistic?"
Yes, these days its an expectation.

The technique is usually a combination of Luminance-qualified secondary, erode/blur plus a power window to put some shape into the sky gradation. This gets a little tricky for material that is less than 10-bit, as banding will set in fairly quickly. You should save this operation as a node tree that you can append to a current grade, but also be prepared to do some tracking. Try not to do custom shapes, but mostly rely on the luminance qualification to provide a basic "shape" that you can feather, then shape with a boolean window operation.

Look at a natural sky and for the most part, you will see that horizon lines are less saturated than higher azimuths.

Otherwise 24 working hours for a 1200 event timeline doesn't sound that unreasonable for a seasoned colorist. That's what we used to get allotted for feature length intermediate transfers, including notching, film transport, viewing and loading/unloading reels.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

andrew sableton
on Mar 14, 2013 at 11:19:49 pm

Yeah 24 working hrs is a lot of time..... I do 1300 shot TV shows in 8-10 hrs quite often....

Hue vs Hue and Hue vs Sat curves can sometimes work well for a quick isolation / manipulation of sky, in combination with pushing a bit of blue into the gain.... but all depends on a lot of specific properties of the shot and what you are trying to achieve....

AS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]