FORUMS: list search recent posts

very lengthy save time. ..

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ronen Pestes
very lengthy save time. ..
on Mar 8, 2013 at 7:35:03 pm

I am on Davinci light with an episodic 20 min with 3 acts.
OS 10.8.2 Mid2010 MacPro with 32GB Ram and GT8800 for display and Q4000.

I have a up to 3-4 minutes save cycles which is extremely slow and time consuming.
Is that considered normal? How can I make those save cycles go faster?

I have about 900 cuts per show, are the still store takes long time to save?

Thanks,

Ronen Pestes
Film Editor
http://www.ronenpestes.com

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
Re: very lengthy save time. ..
on Mar 9, 2013 at 12:48:28 am

I recently did a full show in a single project, @ 500 shots, and it took WAY longer to save then one act per project. There's a bit more front end, getting your gallery set up and what not, but while working it's much better... I'm not planning on doing a full show in one project again...

Return to posts index

Ronen Pestes
on Mar 9, 2013 at 3:40:13 am

Are you using the light version?

I don't think a project per reel is a productive workflow.
What do you do on a feature? to much prep work and checking when resolve do it all for you in one project, but that doesn't work as fast or well if you need to move grades from project to project especially with tape-less media.

I am going to test it on another setup and see if its any better.

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
on Mar 9, 2013 at 4:29:13 am

Full version.

A reel per project, though slower has served me well in the past coming from Apple Color where the rule of thumb was 20 min's or 300 cuts... when I moved to v8, it was suggested I follow the same protocol, which worked fine.

Since v9 was introduced, and while v8 was current, I read many discussions on this forum discussing the pro's/con's of both workflows... And there are mixed thoughts and different places that the time is spent...

So, I finally did a show all in one project. An hour long doc for broadcast, not nearly as cutty as some stuff I've worked on, but was near 600 edits.... The project was easier in the sense of tracking corrections but took nearly twice as long to save...

All I can say is that that is my experience.

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Mar 9, 2013 at 9:56:20 am

I just did feature last week and it had tons on media an 1300 shots 2 hours 15 minutes.

Yes it took some time to save but we knew it before hand and it did not bother much.

This project was preset before me and it could have been cut down to smaller reels but i did not want to
change the workflow as it turned out later resolve was also sort of on-lining facility ;)

This week i have another feature at hand. Its about 1,5 hours.

At first i had 5 reels as edls. They connected nicely and gathered all media pool with material.
I noticed that slowing down came when i made one long timeline out of all the edls
but did not compare save times if different shorter timelines would help in save times.

I think you have to consider if you loose time in saving or loose time popping from project to project.
If your machine can handle it and workflow demands it then long project could also be good option.
I have a lot similar stuff in the movie and it is good to jump a round a timeline.

Maybe not the best practice but serves me good with this feature at hand.

So one may want to calculate different parameters where saving speed is just one of them.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu
https://vimeo.com/iconstudioseu/videos

DaVinci 9, OSX 10.7.4
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Multibridge 2 Pro

Return to posts index

MichaelMaier
on Mar 9, 2013 at 11:11:49 am

[Margus Voll] "This project was preset before me and it could have been cut down to smaller reels but i did not want to
change the workflow as it turned out later resolve was also sort of on-lining facility ;)"

So you onlined in Resolve? Please do tell. :)
I would love to know your workflow for that.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Mar 9, 2013 at 1:49:20 pm

Actually you would not want to do that and use NLE for that etc.

This was just one time and i do not consider it effective of doing things.

It was started as so and i had to finish it just that way.

Added some footage, did some sync edits etc.

But it would be so much faster to do in nle or smoke etc.

SO pleas do not consider it as viable workflow.

--

Margus

DaVinci 9, OSX 10.7.4
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Multibridge 2 Pro

Return to posts index

MichaelMaier
on Mar 9, 2013 at 3:12:47 pm

I see.

Smoke, sure. But compared to a NLE, Resolve just seems to have so many more appropriated tools for finishing. High end grading, denoise, scale, sharpening,reframing,stabilization, cosmetic touch ups, smoothing out skin blemishes, power windows etc all at the touch of a button. Most NLEs can't even come close. This is why Resolve looks so tempting.

If you have Smoke this is no longer a question of course.

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Mar 9, 2013 at 10:23:38 pm

What i do i grade in Resolve but fx and stuff like that do in AF afterwards or before hand.

--

Margus

DaVinci 9, OSX 10.7.4
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Multibridge 2 Pro

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Mar 12, 2013 at 4:22:21 am

Look into Baselight Editions. It does pretty much all you had mentioned and does it very well I may add.

Return to posts index

Ronen Pestes
on Mar 12, 2013 at 4:29:07 am

Thank you guys,

but my question was about length of save time in resolve and how to make it faster, not which system better in finishing and output -
should I change the post name to 'The reason we are NOT buying a full DaVinci control surface is...' to get response to this question...
?

:)

Any way I think save time is more connected to the amount of still in the still store rather length of sequence.
In my case, 20 minutes 3 act show with 900 edits (repeating shots between acts) creating a project per act is not something that make sense from grade management. So making save time shorter, especially in supervised session with client is a key. (and much needed improvement for Mac based systems)

Ronen

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
on Mar 12, 2013 at 4:06:24 pm

Under "General Options", do you have "Save Timeline Thumbnails" unchecked?

Return to posts index

Ronen Pestes
on Mar 12, 2013 at 5:34:27 pm

Eric,
I do have thumbnails unchecked.

Jack and Michael, please open another post for your conversation.
Besides the fact that is creating confusion if someone is trying to answer my question. If someone is going to learn from your dialogue or search for a solution one might not be able to, since it is in the wrong conversation,.

Return to posts index

MichaelMaier
on Mar 12, 2013 at 12:02:42 pm

[jake blackstone] "Look into Baselight Editions. It does pretty much all you had mentioned and does it very well I may add."

Unfortunately it's not available as a plug-in to any application I use.

I was surprised to find out there's a version for Nuke. What does it do? Does it add a timeline to Nuke and real time playback? Because applications like Nuke or Eyeon Fusion need no help in color grading. They are already more powerful than any dedicated color grading software out there. They are just not laid out for that and have no real time playback. But they have all the tools to be a finishing tool apart from that. So I wonder what Baselight Editions add to the mix. Unfortunately their website doesn't have a comparison between the full version and Editions.

Return to posts index

Ronen Pestes
on Mar 19, 2013 at 12:43:30 am

I have installed 9.1.1. Save times are lightning fast.
I can now have 2-3 episodes on the same project and all the still frames that I need.
problem solved

Ronen

Return to posts index

Saul Budd
on May 6, 2013 at 4:56:02 pm

Just been doing some playing around here on a 1,100 cut show.

I am using an AAF of a consol of the sequence, rather than an export & EDL. The show has over a hundred push and swipe transitions, as well as several picture in pictures, and I'd rather not have to reconstruct them all!

Save time for the whole project, no grades yet, is about 35 seconds. The save time seems to be considerably more affected by the number of files in the media pool, if I remove everything from the media pool it takes about 10 seconds to save. Ronan, I wonder if your "lightning fast" saves are because you are using a notched QT or similar?

As for stills, I auto-grabbed a still of every clip in the sequence, and the save time went up to 1'40" !

A sequence/project of the first 20 mins, importing only relevant media takes about 11seconds to save which is bearable. Coming from Color, splitting the sequence up into three separate projects is no big deal for me, it's just a bit of a shame!

I am on 9.1.1 (lite) on a Windows 7 system with media consolidated to a local drive and the database (currently) on the system drive. Over the weekend I worked on a Resolve 8 (full version) on an OSX system, media and database on an XSAN. Another 1 hour show, I didn't think to take records, it was probably about 2/3 as many cuts, but I think save times felt considerably faster than 20 seconds.

Does this tie in with other people's experience? Any tips to speed things up?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]