FORUMS: list search recent posts

How would I get Sony F55 footage into Resolve the right way?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sebastian Woeber
How would I get Sony F55 footage into Resolve the right way?
on Mar 3, 2013 at 4:36:37 pm

Hi,

I'm not grading professionally which is my excuse for not getting this footage imported right. I hope some of you might be able to help me with your expertise.

The footage was shot with the new XAVC codec. The files come in mxf containers.
I generate a new project with the timeline size set to 4096x2160 to match the footage. All other settings basically look right as far as I can tell.

I then import the footage and it does show up, but the colors - they are so off!
A traffic light that was filmed shows up orange and blue instead of red and green.

I tried applying all the LUTs I had including the Sony SLog2 to Rec709. Obviously that doesn't make a difference in the way stuff is colored.
Could you tell me what I'm doing wrong? Is the F55 maybe not supported yet?

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: How would I get Sony F55 footage into Resolve the right way?
on Mar 3, 2013 at 6:59:20 pm

I encountered an F55 last week, and Resolve was on the list of 4K supporters, however, you may need a pluginfor XAVC similar to the XDCam workflow that is supported only when FCP is installed. At this point, with the advent of 4K and this Sony codec, I see the actual cliff that Final Cut 7 will finally go over. And Media Composer and Symphony if AVID cannot respond.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Mar 3, 2013 at 11:40:56 pm

Have been working with f55 footage a couple weeks now. XAVC and RAW, have not seen this. Are you trying to use ACES by any chance?

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Mar 4, 2013 at 12:10:18 am

Sounds like you might have ACES processing enabled. The XAVC codec is an advanced version of H.264 and should come up looking "normal," albeit probably in SLog2 gamma space.

Return to posts index

Sebastian Woeber
on Mar 4, 2013 at 10:40:27 am

Hi, Thanks for the comments. Unfortunately after installing all possible programs to run F55 footage, as well as Sony's very own content viewer that comes with the camera it all looks the same.
Maybe the guys did something wrong while shooting?
Anyway how do I disable the ACES processing in Resolve?
Here's a screenshot:

I have a second problem and it might be related to the one above? On highlights the borders have a weird colorfringing, I'm certain this is not how it's supposed to look like. Am I maybe working in the wrong bit world? Working 10 bit on 12 bit footage or something like that? A screenshot detail is below. This is the backside of a head on a light in the background.

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Mar 4, 2013 at 5:18:11 pm

Could this be the debayer issue they pushed out a firmware update to address? What firmware are you running?

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Mar 4, 2013 at 6:05:36 pm

[Sebastian Woeber] "Maybe the guys did something wrong while shooting?"

By some slim-probability chance, is there anything at all else (like "color bars") included in the encoded material that might serve as reference for whether the decoder is working or not?

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
on Mar 4, 2013 at 8:47:44 pm

I got my F55 last week, have been testing, I have some help and thoughts:

First, that fringing thing was a bug in earlier firmwares. Straight-up bug. The owner needs to update to camera firmware v1.03 There's no way to fix it in post, and it's not a bug with how Resolve is reading the files. I have a day's worth of shooting of this bug, and it makes me cringe every time I see it. It's awful.

Second, as far as color rendition, there are an awful lot of choices in camera that can affect things. I would start by asking them, what gamma and what color matrix setting did they shoot with?

It is possible for the operator to enable S-Log2 gamma, but not modify the color settings or matrix, which causes the material to be very flat in contrast, but have color saturation that is "normal" and becomes a handful after you apply contrast (or a proper S-Log2 LUT). Easily tackled in Resolve, but just the same, it's not something that should ever be shot in the first place.

Right now, if somebody is not shooting raw, the best combo from a colorists standpoint is shooting S-Log2 gamma, and enabling S-Gamut in system settings, which locks out all color manipulation except color temp.

There is a new LUT in the wild that takes S-Log2/S-Gamut material and gives a great looking starting point

Nate Weaver
Director/D.P., Los Angeles
http://www.nateweaver.net

Return to posts index

Sebastian Woeber
on Mar 5, 2013 at 11:07:23 am

Hi Nate,

Thanks a lot for all this Info.
We went to a professional grader today (we're actually sitting in the studio right now) and we could see all your comments in the footage.
1. Yes we were on firmware 1.02 which has the sharpness in highlights / fringing problems. We tried to work over it by blurring the highlights a little.
2. I have still not found out why the traffic lights were so off, but the rest of the footage seems ok. We will just drop that sequence of shots that is wrong and next time make sure we doublecheck the camera settings.
3. We're working with the new LUT. I dont know where he got it, something from Sony. And it does give a way better starting point. The other Slog2 is always clipping.

Thanks for all your help and comments.
Cheers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]