FORUMS: list search recent posts

archiving projects

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
steve voyk
archiving projects
on Feb 24, 2013 at 5:39:08 pm

Hi guys,
I am trying to understand what everyone does when it's time to get projects off the Resolve system and archived.

I'm assuming you either export the project file or copy it from the project database. However, in terms of the footage, what I'm looking for is a way to only archive what is used (and maybe handles) similar to 'consolidate' in an NLE system. However, I simply haven't been able to find this anywhere in V9.

Am I correct in my thinking you generally either save ALL the original footage or don't save any at all (hoping to be able to successfully relink to the original material in the future)?

I really don't want to save everything as I seem to get more and more RED and Alexa material these days for shoots (ie. 100's of GB's, if not a TB's per job), but at the same time, feel uneasy not saving anything at all within my facility.

All replies appreciated.

Return to posts index

Dan Moran
Re: archiving projects
on Feb 24, 2013 at 7:15:09 pm

All I archive is the final render and the project + extras like offline and audio.

If the client want's me to re-grade anything they will need to re-supply the original drives with the footage on it.

They won't pay for me to archive all their footage so I won't waste LTO tapes and time backing it up for them.

--

Dan Moran
Colourist
Smoke & Mirrors: London
http://www.danmorancolor.com/blog

Return to posts index

Teo Rižnar
on Feb 25, 2013 at 2:19:21 pm

Hi Dan,
I get your case 100% but in some cases they are willing to spent money on LTOs in my shop, what then? I hate hand file-by-file archiving. Something like "trim red files" that makes new directory with trimmed material would be awesome also for other codecs and media... Looking forward for a new version with integrated even smarter file tracking on disks etc...

Color grade reel:
Cofounder of http://nuframe.si postproduction

Return to posts index

fergus hally
on Feb 26, 2013 at 12:37:59 am

I have to agree
there is a need for some kind of consolidate project
we archive all the source footage (bill-able) but the reality with digital shooting ratios is that there is a lot of fat to cut before it goes to LTO
also, not sure if anyone else suffers from this (he smiles a weary smile)
every now and then (!!) the data and EDL/XMLs supplied are not always presented well, reel ids missing, duplicate timecodes, etc etc
so with resolves conflict resolution abilities, its great that we can fix all this, but you can end up with a whole load of unwanted footage in your project
making a clean project based on the fixed conform/s would be something that i would love. add the usual with or without handles, whole clips or trims and you have a way to consolidate that ticks all the boxes

Return to posts index

Vladimir Kucherov
on Feb 26, 2013 at 3:16:30 pm

You can render the project out as a flat pass, with handles, and re-import the DaVinci Generated XML back into Resolve. Now your source media are the "V1-001" files from Resolve without color on them, and you can use ColorTrace to get your grade back on those, and archive. That's one thing I can think of.

Also, Resolve now seems to be able to copy files on the file-system within the application (at least on Mac), so if you only imported the clips in your cut, you can copy those to an archive drive.

Return to posts index

Ernest Savage
on May 12, 2014 at 9:09:46 pm

Dear Fergus Hally,

Did you ever figure out a workflow for

"making a clean project based on the fixed conform/s would be something that i would love. add the usual with or without handles, whole clips or trims and you have a way to consolidate that ticks all the boxes." ?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]