FORUMS: list search recent posts

GTX570 vs GTX480 results

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Osterday
GTX570 vs GTX480 results
on Feb 22, 2013 at 9:22:29 pm

Thought I would share my findings here that I posted on Macrumors:

Got my hands on some GTX570s (1.2GB). Here is what I found in Resolve 9. Mac Pro 4,1 with 14GB RAM, 2x2.26, a 3TB SW RAID, and a 750GB HDD running OSX 10.8.2 for my first simple test machine.

This test contained the standard candle test for V9 and a RED 5K 2:1 (7:1 compression) clip to replace the SD footage so that I can see how well the GPU's worked with the rocket.

First, I did a clean install of 10.8.2 and then installed the latest Cuda drivers (5.0.37) and left the existing NVidia drivers alone (295.30.20f02). I was able to plug in either card with zero issues. Computer and Monitor sleep works, no boot up or kernal panics, no crashing software. They were both just plug and play and appear to be running at full speed with regards to Cuda-Z. I can't get the PCI window to work though with the GTX570 under system profile which was expected vs the MVC GTX480.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...kE&usp=sharing

Summary: The GTX480 and 570 are basically neck and neck. Maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 FPS difference in some areas but where one nudges ahead the other does in a different area (SD/HD vs RED and so forth). Also the single-precision numbers were 1333 vs 1393 (GTX570) in Cuda-Z.

The most interesting part to me was that I found very little performance increase once the GT120 was added as the GUI card. Maybe a 1/2 to 1 FPS bump in some areas but thats it. I will say that overall scrubbing and snappyness of playback felt smoother with the dedicated GUI card. I just couldn't measure it accurately but it was certainly there. If it came down to it though, I'd rather utilize one card and dedicate the slots to supporting RR, HBA, and a Decklink. This would also make a friendlier setup for FCX, CS6 and so forth.

It's nice to know that you can utilize a simple SW RAID and still get realtime with some heavy handed footage. I had no issues with ProRes 4x4. I'll have to try DPX and ArriRaw next.

Return to posts index

Eric Hansen
Re: GTX570 vs GTX480 results
on Feb 22, 2013 at 10:34:48 pm

Thanks for sharing Jason

i have been thinking about ditching the GT120 as well. i hate that it's taking up a 16x slot.

on my system, i've decided to run 4 internal drives in a software RAID-0. i get 500MB/s with that, and i don't need to use an HBA card. but since it's RAID-0, i do have to back it up religiously.

e

Eric Hansen
Production Workflow Designer / Consultant / Colorist / DIT
http://www.erichansen.tv

Return to posts index

Jason Osterday
on Feb 23, 2013 at 9:50:38 pm

Eric,

Are you running SSD's in that SW raid? I can't run an internal due to most films spanning more than 16TB (4 drives worth) so I'm stuck with HBA's/Fiber on any RED, ArriRaw, or DPX job. That's just field work though, I can get away with smaller commercial stuff with the internal RAID I have on some machines. Even though its only 250-300MB/s it hasn't choked with RED 5K (7:1) at all as long as I'm working in Reels (10-15mins each).

I posted my feelings on the GTX660ti in the Macrumors board was curious if anyone on here is running one with both Adobe and DaVinci? I think the 3GB model may be the best value for the money if the additional memory plays nice with PS and AE as well as DaVinci.

Return to posts index

Eric Hansen
on Feb 28, 2013 at 3:19:36 am

my SW RAID is four 2TB Caviar Blacks. i think i could add a fifth. i believe the max for the Mac Pro internal SATA is 600MB/s. it's plenty of space for me as i mostly work on short pieces from media managed projects.

i just realized this RAID is the same size as the first 28 drive Xsan I installed. damn!

most clients are sending me footage on USB3 drives, so i'm looking to add a USB3 card to my Mac Pro and would rather have that than an HBA. i like the CalDigit USB3/eSATA card, but i really wish the eSATA ports supported port multiplication.

e

Eric Hansen
Production Workflow Designer / Consultant / Colorist / DIT
http://www.erichansen.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]