FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Idea" for resolve as a full compositor.

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph Mastantuono
"Idea" for resolve as a full compositor.
on Feb 16, 2013 at 2:30:58 pm

There are probably engineering reasons why this hasn't been done, but I'd love to know why...

I know I can add an outside matte inside a clip, but I was wondering why there wasn't an option to just outright add a completely different clip within the node structure. Like shake or nuke...

I know I could theoretically do things in the timeline with blending modes, but that is a clunky way of doing it.

Is there a big engineering reason this isn't a realistic resolve 9.5 / 10 feature?

I was thinking about this when I was looking into figuring out a quick and easy way of adding real film grain thats easily adjustable, directly within resolve.

Joseph Mastantuono
http://www.goodpost.net
Color Grading & Post Production Consulting

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: "Idea" for resolve as a full compositor.
on Feb 16, 2013 at 2:39:48 pm

Already there.

Not a full "compositor" but enough to do lots of handy things.

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Joseph Mastantuono
on Feb 16, 2013 at 9:33:06 pm

Can't believe I missed this...

Joseph Mastantuono
http://www.goodpost.net
Color Grading & Post Production Consulting

Return to posts index

Naveed Aftab
on Feb 17, 2013 at 2:47:32 pm

This is not only about adding just another node or functionality - a full compositing tool needs lot more than that - just think about Nuke or Smoke etc, how amazing these tools are - If Black Magic declares Resolve as a compositing tool, it will be far behind in the race - so it is more honorable for Resolve to be a coloring tool and being at the front, rather than being one of the last ones and struggling in the race. I strongly suggest Black Magic not to make such a mistake and leave it as (one of the best) Coloring tool. They can always develop a separate compositing tool and then struggle and wait for years to come closer to Nuke and Smoke.

Return to posts index

Marcus Herrick
on Feb 17, 2013 at 9:03:22 pm

I think the sensible answer would be to have option to right click on a clip and export it via xml to After effects or Nuke (potentially with each nodes grade as rendered layers). So with one click you can jump out to a compositor add flare or paint out something and then jump back to resolve and continue grading while it renders.

In the case of Nuke it could specify the render format and location so renders can be automatically conformed back into the grade.

This would give DaVinci the best composting tools at your fingertips or have comps easily completed by an assist seat, while you keep grading. Best of all it's quick and seamless for the client watching.

Marcus Herrick
Freelance Editor / Grader

Return to posts index

Vladimir Kucherov
on Feb 18, 2013 at 10:12:53 pm

This is what I would like the most - I don't want Resolve to be bloated into a VFX package - but I would like a dead simple out and back in, so I can send a shot to Nuke/After Effects, do what I need to it, like add a flare, denoise, grain, do motion blended time remapping, etc, and have it appear back in my Resolve timeline ready to be graded further or exported with the rest of the program.

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Feb 18, 2013 at 11:38:48 pm

I know, this is the DaVinci forum, but what you'd described is called Baselight Editions:-)

Return to posts index

Blase Theodore
on Feb 19, 2013 at 5:17:26 pm

Nice Juan!

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Feb 20, 2013 at 5:04:32 pm

I've always said that Resolve has the potential for being a Smoke like finishing tool in the future.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Feb 20, 2013 at 8:11:20 pm

I gotta say, I kinda hope not. i think one smoke is enough. Isn't this what scratch is doing? at the expense of the color side, IMO.

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Feb 21, 2013 at 9:18:13 am

The editing , audio and compositing functionality has greatly been improved in last couple of versions.
It doesn't have to be at the cost of the color functionality.
Some multichannel audio mixing added to the current version and i would be happy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]