FORUMS: list search recent posts

thoughts: technique for creating gate weave in Resolve

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Blase Theodore
thoughts: technique for creating gate weave in Resolve
on Feb 14, 2013 at 10:49:40 pm

I wanted to add some gate weave within resolve, and figured I'd check to see if anyone else had pulled it off.

My very rough theoretical idea would be to build an AE comp of a still with gateweave applied. Render out a chunk of it, track it in resolve, copy the tracking data and paste it into the target clip.

I haven't done much with copying/pasting keyframes in resolve. Does any of this seem possible?

Return to posts index

Andy Winter
Re: thoughts: technique for creating gate weave in Resolve
on Feb 15, 2013 at 9:44:53 am

as far as i know, there isn't a way to copy/paste tracking data within
the project :(

so that won't be possible...

Return to posts index

Dan Moran
on Feb 15, 2013 at 1:34:24 pm

I think this should help :)

My tutorial covers how to add camera shake but should apply to weave too.

http://www.mixinglight.com/001-R9-ShakeyCamera-DM.html

--

Dan Moran
Colourist
Smoke & Mirrors: London
http://www.danmorancolor.com/blog

Return to posts index

Blase Theodore
on Feb 15, 2013 at 2:10:37 pm

Wow, thanks Dan!

Return to posts index

Christian Betong
on Feb 15, 2013 at 3:38:41 pm

But if you want camera gateweave you will want to have motionblur corresponding to that weave. You cant have that in Resolve (I think so?)

Why cant you just export from resolve, import into AE and add weave with motionblur after?

I have done a bit of film look effects in AE on different digital cameras. And think motion blur makes it look much better. Looks digital without.

Tip: If you are adding grain also, do that after the motionblur weave, as it would not be affected.

Hope this helps

Christian Berg-Nielsen
Sement&Betong
postproduction
Norway

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Feb 15, 2013 at 11:36:45 pm

Great idea. But, as usual, Resolve requires some ingenuity to do simple tasks, instead of offering it as a core capability. I'm talking about an inability to copy and paste grades INCLUDING tracking data. This way when you save the grade into the memory and then recalling it doesn't lose that information. Obviously, the mechanism for such copy and paste already exists, as demonstrated by Dan. Why not just slow down with all this incessant Resolve updating with meaningless "General stability improvements" and work on some core Resolve usability, like above mentioned "snap to" or better yet, user mapping of various panels? I just returned Element panels back and re-installed my old MC Color. Element hardware is almost perfect, but the Resolve mapping of the panel was less useful, than expected and no control release of panel by Resolve, even when not running is plain weird.

Return to posts index

Blase Theodore
on Feb 19, 2013 at 5:35:23 pm

Hi Dan,

Just realized I can use this technique for sky replacements as well. Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Blase Theodore
Files for gateweave Powergrade
on Feb 19, 2013 at 9:11:57 pm

I came up with a variation of Dan's technique, so you can apply gate weave / camera shake at any time from your PowerGrade Stillstore.

http://www.contactpost.tv/files/gate_weave.zip

1. Import the .drx file above to your powergrade still store.
2. Switch to PZTR only mode, to avoid pasting over your grades.
3. The grade must be first be applied to a clip that starts at exactly 01:00:00:00. (typically just the first clip in the timeline.) If there isn't anything at 01hr, just throw down a black slug or something.
4. Once you've applied the powergrade to the first clip, you can paste from the first clip to any clip. Just go to that clip, and middle mouse button the first clip.

Notes:
1. I generated 1 min of shake. The pasted data is always the full minute, and is never truncated by pasting it to a shorter clip.
2. By default its set to a pretty intense weave. You will want to tweak it before you start pasting. To tweak, just scale back the "strong" value (under stabilizer box), and then hit stabilize.
3. If you needed to create your own versions, I've included the AEP I used to generate the weave. Just render out as much as you need, and watch Dan's tutorial to see what I did to get the Powergrade.

Return to posts index

Pat Wintersgill
Re: Files for gateweave Powergrade
on Apr 19, 2016 at 8:06:31 am

Thanks a lot for this Blase. Great looking video.
The link appears to be broken, would you mind uploading it again?
All best,
Pat Wintersgill
Film Shed
http://www.film-shed.co.uk

Return to posts index

Blase Theodore
on Apr 19, 2016 at 2:26:10 pm

Hi Pat,

Sorry man, those files are long gone. Changed servers a couple years ago. But Dan explains it quite well.
You should really check out his description in the thread above.

Good luck!
Blase

Return to posts index

Pat Wintersgill
on Apr 20, 2016 at 10:04:36 am

Hi Blase, no worries, I've checked out Dan's video as you suggested and it works great.

Thanks Blase and Dan!

Best,

Pat Wintersgill
Film Shed
http://www.film-shed.co.uk

Return to posts index

Blase Theodore
on Mar 18, 2013 at 1:56:24 pm

So here is the trailer for the film I did using this effect.

It was done completely in resolve on RED footage. (gate weave, gate matte, dust, scratches flicker, etc..) No AE needed.
I did it this way because it would have taken forever to tweak and render an entire film in AE with these effects.

Thanks again Dan for the idea.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Apr 21, 2016 at 12:18:44 am

The Red Universe Distort "Camera Shake" plug-in will do this very well, and you can randomize and keyframe it to a point.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]