FORUMS: list search recent posts

Roundtripping Media Composer 5.5.3 – DaVinci Resolve 8.X

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Nelson
Roundtripping Media Composer 5.5.3 – DaVinci Resolve 8.X
on Feb 9, 2013 at 8:34:39 pm

I’ve read the manuals, I’ve googled, I’ve tried variations and I cannot get this to work. And, sin of sins, I've posted this elsewhere as well.

First the short version: I’ve exported an AAF of my DNxHD 175 (HD1080p), 23.976 sequence, my colorist successfully imports it, does a couple of test tweaks and exports, I import the revised AAF and get an error message declaring, “Encountered exception ‘Incompatible File Format.’ Do you want to continue the import? (If you do continue, remember to check the console for import errors.).” I continue and get an entirely offline sequence. Media Tool displays the DaVinci corrected clips, but with names that have no relation to offline new.01 clips in the bin. Relinking gets me nowhere.

How do I link these clips or how do I import in a way that they will come in linked?

In detail:
1. The project was created and completed (up to color correction, which is where we now stand) in MC 5.5.3 on OS X.6.8. Footage was shot on Canon 5D and 7D.
2. I imported AMA files, transcoded to DNxHD 115 and cut the show.
3. I relinked the final show to the AMA clips and then transcoded to DNxHD 175.
4. I exported a video-only AAF of forty-six seconds of this 175 sequence. I included two video channels and an assortment of the effects I’ve used to see what would and would not work. Export Settings: Include All Video/Data Tracks in Sequence, AAF Edit Protocol, Consolidate Media, Media Destination to Folder.
5. Colorist successfully imported the AAF, made a few corrections for test purposes and followed what we both believe to be the correct protocol for roundtripping and sent it back to me.
6. I copied the .mxf files into the appropriate media folder (Avid MediaFiles>MXF>1) and deleted the .msm files.
7. I went back to the project, opened a new bin and imported the revised AAF file.
8. I get the error message listed above. I tell it to proceed.
9. Bin fills with offline sequence, a collection of corresponding offline new.01 clips and online copies of some of the original master and subclips that went to build the original sequence.
10. Per the error message I check the console for import error messages. There are three. The first is “Can't make a track effect. Importing without effect,” the second one references the one clip on V2, which has an AniMatte effect. It reads, “Minor Change: Error with media reference (clip will be offline).” And the third references the unused camera in a group clip, in other words, a clip that doesn’t actually appear in the sequence. The message reads, “Minor Change: Error with media reference (clip will be offline).” There are no messages to indicate it did not happily import the rest of the media.
11. Media Tool does show new clips that are the ‘corrected’ footage, but they have unfamiliar names, not corresponding to anything I can detect and they do not appear in the import bin. These clips are the same resolution and frame rate as my original sequence.
12. I think, “What the heck, I’ve got the sequence, I’ve got the media; let’s just relink.”
13. I attempt to relink using “Selected items in ALL open bins,” with the new media all in its own bin and selected. I get bupkis. “No clips were relinked.”

I realize I didn’t provide a lot of information in number 5 above, but I know the colorist would be happy to answer whatever questions you might have. And I, of course, will gladly, gladly provide any additional information. I’m going to try an AAF export of a single-track effectless sequence and also try an export of a sequence built from the AMA relink. But I’d really like this to work directly from picture lock. Anyone still with me and do you have any idea what we did wrong?

Martin

Martin

2 x 2.26 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
12 GB RAM
OS 10.6.8
ATI Radeon HD 4870
FCP 7.0.2
Quicktime 7.6.6
Avid Media Composer 5.5
Matrox MXO2 Mini, Driver v.2.2.3.0043

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
Re: Roundtripping Media Composer 5.5.3 – DaVinci Resolve 8.X
on Feb 9, 2013 at 10:21:52 pm

One thing I would try is "committing multi-cam edits" (pretty sure that's the Avid term...) Resolve isn't to fond of groups/multicam etc...

Return to posts index

Martin Nelson
on Feb 10, 2013 at 10:13:59 pm

That is a hugely useful tip, Eric, but I don't think it will address anything other than that one error message. I will try to pass an AAF to the colorist with that figured in though.

Martin

12 GB RAM
OS 10.6.8
ATI Radeon HD 4870
FCP 7.0.2
Quicktime 7.6.6
Avid Media Composer 5.5

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Feb 11, 2013 at 3:13:54 pm

won't really fix your problem, but, can you import the resolve media at all? (drag the database file from your Avidmediafiles/mxf/1 folder directly into an empty bin. This will at least tell you if the media is being created properly by Resolve, or if he has an incorrect setting there.

If the media does come in, perhaps Avid will do a relink to that folder?

Glenn

Return to posts index

Martin Nelson
on Feb 11, 2013 at 4:01:01 pm

That's interesting, Glenn, I've never dragged a .mdb into a bin; didn't know you could. But I already dragged the Resolve-created mxf files into my existing Avid Mediafiles>MXF>1 folder and rebuilt the database. They're not in a '2' folder. Won't dragging the .mdb into a bin create duplicates of the rest of that drive's masterclips?

Also, the Resolve-created media does show up in the Media Tool. I dragged it all into its own bin and all indicators (playability, resolution, frame rate, etc.) are that it's fine and compatible. But it has completely unrelated names —different from the offline .new clips in the AAF bin— and I can't seem to get these clips to 'relink' to the sequence.

Martin

Martin

12 GB RAM
OS 10.6.8
ATI Radeon HD 4870
FCP 7.0.2
Quicktime 7.6.6
Avid Media Composer 5.5

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
on Feb 11, 2013 at 5:19:39 pm

If your colorist is using v9.1.1, ask him to export using the "generate new AAF" option....

It may not be complete from a filter standpoint, haven't really tested that kind of thing, but at least the work will end up in a timeline that has a basic resemblance to your cut. Then it's just a matter of copying filters, and re-doing some timewarps...

Return to posts index

Martin Nelson
on Feb 11, 2013 at 5:29:45 pm

[Eric Johnson] "If your colorist is using v9.1.1, ask him to export using the "generate new AAF" option...."

I'm pretty sure he's using v8.something. I'll check when he's available again. I'm new to Resolve and my colorist is new to Avid so we're working out the kinks. I'm currently waiting for an upload from him of an attempt based on a cut where I removed a FluidMotion clip and where, per your earlier suggestion, I committed multi-cam edits.

Martin

Martin

12 GB RAM
OS 10.6.8
ATI Radeon HD 4870
FCP 7.0.2
Quicktime 7.6.6
Avid Media Composer 5.5

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Feb 12, 2013 at 2:53:04 pm

sorry if this becomes a double post, I replied yesterday, but it doesn't seem to have made it through the system.

For this kind of workflow, i always put my MXF files in their own numbered folder, not in the "1" folder. This way, dragging the database will not double up the media from anything else in the folder. Usually i put them in their own folder, have avid build the database, then rename the folder to something like "project X media from Resolve" Once you change the folder name to include letters it becomes read only, so make sure Avid has built the database for that folder before renaming.

This method also helps keep projects clean, and easy to archive media if necessary.

As far as the naming convention, make sure the colorist does not have the "create unique names" checked inside resolve. This will add a bunch of extra characters to the mxf files coming out of resolve.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Martin Nelson
on Feb 12, 2013 at 3:01:18 pm

Nope, not a double post, Glenn.

There's a lot of valuable info in that, but I'm on an out-of-house gig today and won't be able to try any of this until tonight at the earliest. I have forwarded your post to my colorist.

Thanks so much,

Martin

Martin

12 GB RAM
OS 10.6.8
ATI Radeon HD 4870
FCP 7.0.2
Quicktime 7.6.6
Avid Media Composer 5.5

Return to posts index