FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac pro 1.1 DaVinci Resolve!

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
osama rasheed
Mac pro 1.1 DaVinci Resolve!
on Feb 6, 2013 at 6:23:08 pm

hello CreativeCow,
I have a mac pro 1.1 and will have soon the 3.0 GHZ Xeon X5365. and wanna to install DaVinci Resolve and work with it in in HD and SD 'now raw or red for now' . i just send back today my 4 days old ATI HD 5870 to apple, while it dosent have CUDA :(
so my question is; wich graphic card will work as the best for DaVinci Resolve?
about the Boot logo i can live with out it :) i have the orginal 7300GT on it now so i can use it for booting 'can i use it for GUI in resolve?'
thanks in advance for your help
osama

system :
osx : lion 10.7.5
mac pro 1.1 'soon 2.1 with the new X5365'
ram : 13 gb
hard drives : ssd 240 gb for osx , 4x 2tb as intern raid with some extra intern and external drives for backup
monitor: Dell u3011

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: Mac pro 1.1 DaVinci Resolve!
on Feb 6, 2013 at 6:41:44 pm

I don't think any resolve supporting gfx cards work on a MacPro 1,1.

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Robert Houllahan
on Feb 6, 2013 at 9:43:11 pm

Long time ago, had a 1,1 and tried Resolve on it, did not work. The PCIe slots are V1.0 and do not support any Resolve capable GPUs you can get a kext file which will allow a GTX285 to be recognized by the machine but the bus issues are significant and V7.0 Resolve crashed.

-Rob-

Robert Houllahan
Director / Colorist
Cinelab Inc.
http://www.cinelab.com

MAHC-PRO 6-Core 2X GTX580 20Tb SAS Wave Panel Panny 11UK SDI Plasma. Light-Space CMS + Hubble

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Feb 7, 2013 at 4:54:29 am

You can actually get a GTX 470 to work (even a PC version will work, sans boot screen) with the latest Nvidia drivers. I got it to work, as an experiment.

You will get Resolve to function, but the performance and stability will be close to unacceptable.

I actually got slightly better performance with only the 470 installed. Having 2 cards got worse performance, as illogical as it sounds. Probably due to the bus issues. There can only be 1 16x card running at a time in the Mac Pro 1,1.

Return to posts index

osama rasheed
on Feb 7, 2013 at 3:13:05 pm

thnaks a lot for your answers:
i was reading a lot about this issue :
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1440150

and after i was reading in the installation description of resolve i found that it support the GTX 570, so i think ill go with that and will give you the result.
other question :
i dont have an extern monitor for SDi, so do i need any black magic card for the work ?? do thies cards have extra performance befit if i install them ?

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Feb 7, 2013 at 5:36:59 pm

[osama rasheed] "i dont have an extern monitor for SDi, so do i need any black magic card for the work ?? do thies cards have extra performance befit if i install them ?"

If you do not intend to display an external image, you don't really need a Decklink I/O card. You may actually get better frame rate performance without the external. But you will also not get an accurate rendition of your grade values.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Robert Houllahan
on Feb 7, 2013 at 7:03:53 pm

When I tried the 1,1 I had sitting around Resolve was V7.0 and the newer nVidia drivers did not exist yet. The 1,1 can support a 16X PCIe card but it is a V1.0 PCIe slot which is why the performance is terrible.

I would think it would be better to get a new iMac for Resolve than to try to make a 1,1 Mac-Pro into a Resolve machine. The new Thunderbolt iMac with nVidia GPU is a reasonable machine and you can get the $150 BMD Mini video box for monitoring.

-Rob-

Robert Houllahan
Director / Colorist
Cinelab Inc.
http://www.cinelab.com

MAHC-PRO 6-Core 2X GTX580 20Tb SAS Wave Panel Panny 11UK SDI Plasma. Light-Space CMS + Hubble

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]