FORUMS: list search recent posts

Full Range and Legal Range

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gregory Arvanitis
Full Range and Legal Range
on Feb 5, 2013 at 2:32:37 pm

Hi, i am new here, i have a problem with my davinci resolve.

I have a Monitor in rec709
I have a Projector in Christie 2K (Full range)
The footage i am working with is in Arri Alexa (Full Range - log)

I am doing the grading on my monitor first so i use the full range footage on a project in video/legal range cause the priority is the TV first and maybe a Blu-ray.
But then i have to do a DCP maybe aswell later on and i want to see it on my projector in full range so i can adjust the grading, but the Color Space in the Davinci Resole wont let me work in full range, it switches fine to full range when i get to the Resolve options, but the when i press play or go to a new clip it switches to video range (well i can see it on my Ultrascope from 0-1023 it goes back to 64-940 and on the monitor as well) but when i get back to the Resolve options it is still checked as full range.

Any ideas why my resolve only want to show legal range??

Thx

Return to posts index

Al Arnold
Re: Full Range and Legal Range
on Feb 6, 2013 at 12:11:35 am

Just a quick question... Did you start the project before an upgrade to 9.1? If the answer is yes... If you create a new project and recreate the scenario do you still notice the same problem?

Return to posts index

Gregory Arvanitis
on Feb 6, 2013 at 1:14:42 am

No i am on 9.1 from the start.

Well i am, i was going around the software today, i think its a bug, i tried to restart Resolve and then it worked, then same problem occurred after switching into other projects.

I don't know what else it could be.

Yet i have another question and i was wondering about, it'ss about Legal to Full Range projects in Resolve.
I used to work on Nucoda the past few years and the workflow in the company i was working was pretty straight forward.
We used Projectors set in Rec709 Full Range, worked all projects in Full range, then did DXP Full Range exports from the Nucoda to make them in XYZ later for the DCPs and if we needed Broadcast SR Tapes or DVDs or Blu-rays we just added on top of the project timeline in the Nucoda a Full to Legal conversion so you could see it properly on a broadcast monitor in Rec 709 with Clipping set to ON to be sure of the conversion.
Now the thing is in Resolve you can choose how the clips you import will be (Full or Legal range), then you can choose what you see in the Monitoring output from Resolve (Full or Legal) and you can choose what range you want to export (Full or Legal).

My question is?!
What should i use if i have Full range footage and i want to do a broadcast export, do i work everything in:

1 - monitoring out option in Resolve set to Legal range (Monitor set to Rec 709 Full range with clipping ON) and export in Legal Range?
or
2 - monitoring out option in Resolve set to Full range (Monitor set to Rec 709 Full range with clipping set to NO) and export my project in Legal range?

Will the export clip my Black and Whites in these cases? or will it do the conversion/remapping Full to Legal?

Or should i force the clip attributes from Full range to Legal range and work everything as well as monitoring option in Legal range and export everything to Legal?

Sorry about that but i can't find a proper answer on other threads so i decided to write mine and ask for it!
and i am New to Resolve.

I thing i have been working to much on Nucoda and Baselight and now there is so much more options than before so i am still learning!

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Chris DK
on Feb 6, 2013 at 9:24:10 am

My question is?!
What should i use if i have Full range footage and i want to do a broadcast export, do i work everything in:

1 - monitoring out option in Resolve set to Legal range (Monitor set to Rec 709 Full range with clipping ON) and export in Legal Range?
or
2 - monitoring out option in Resolve set to Full range (Monitor set to Rec 709 Full range with clipping set to NO) and export my project in Legal range?

I think the first one is right choice. You'd better pay attention when you export ProRes4444 MOV. I did a some tests for that. I import full range DPX into DaVinci, Legal Monitoring out in Resolve,export ProRes422 mov using Legal Range, everything looks fine, it looks same with monitoring full range DPX in Nucoda with 422 CGR setting by a full range projector.

However, under same settings(Legal monitoring out+Legal Range in DaVinci) exporting ProRes4444 move, it's low contrast.

You'd better do tests before your work.

Return to posts index

Gregory Arvanitis
on Feb 7, 2013 at 3:23:15 pm

Thnx for the help if anyone else has something to say about legal to full range please feel free... thats why i made the thread cause maybe someelse has problems and is wondering about that.

About the prores 4444 i had similar problems and i always check them.

Thanx for the help!

(And about resolve, it still has some bugs, thats my conclusion of the question i asked before, now i have another annoying bug witch is that it doesn't show me my footage on my screen if i scroll the timeline bar when i am in Conform mode, and when i switch on to Color mode it works fine, anyways i might have to re-install it...)

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
on Feb 9, 2013 at 2:19:40 am

There is a user option to display all viewers on the Sdi out, or just color page.

Re legal- full range. Check out the manual, there is a whole section on this.
Peter

Return to posts index

Chris DK
on Oct 10, 2013 at 10:17:18 am

UPDATE:
the result I got previously is under condition that :
Import footages into DaVinci, export mov files from DaVinci, and review mov files in FCP 7.

Recently I find that if I play mov files in DaVinci, they look different. Thus, make sure what software you use to preview or tape out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]