FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question regarding raw r3d

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Kee
Question regarding raw r3d
on Feb 4, 2013 at 2:28:29 pm

I've been using Resolve now for about 40 minutes...

I've found how to change the RAW r3d settings. But when I change the raw clip settings (the raw is black and white, so I am upping the saturation), the change doesn't show up on the clips in my 'color' tab. Why is this? How do I amend?

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
Re: Question regarding raw r3d
on Feb 5, 2013 at 7:04:27 am

Will, you are going to have to provide a lot more detail for someone to guide you. Lets start with the system you are using, where you are adjusting controls, how the r3d looks in the media page compared to the color page, where you are adjusting sat. etc
Peter

Return to posts index

Will Kee
on Feb 5, 2013 at 12:56:29 pm

RESOLVE LITE, latest version. PC. Intel 3770K, 16GB 1600 ram, GTX 650, Win 7 64. Imported XLM file from Vegas Pro 12 (project consisted of raw uncomnpressed RED EPIC .r3d >5k).

My clips show up in MEDIA tab. I right click a clip, hit EDIT RED CODEC SETTING >DECODE USING: CLIP (It only lets me change the raw settings when set to CLIP). The raw footage was shot with 0 (ZERO) saturation. I want to play around with color so I increase the raw saturation to 1. I close this tab, and the MEDIA tab displays this clip, now in color, as does the CONFORM tab. On my COLOR tab timeline, however, the clip remains in its native state, ie 0 (ZERO) saturation.

Return to posts index

Will Kee
on Feb 5, 2013 at 2:42:26 pm

PC Intel 3770K, 16GB 1660 ram, GTX 650, Win 7 64. Imported XLM file from Vegas Pro 12 (project consisted of raw uncomnpressed RED EPIC .r3d >5k).

My clips show up in MEDIA tab. I right click a clip, hit EDIT RED CODEC SETTING >DECODE USING: CLIP (It only lets me change the raw settings when set to CLIP). The raw footage was shot with 0 (ZERO) saturation. I want to play around with color so I up the raw saturation to 1. I close this tab, and the MEDIA tab displays this clip, now in color, as does the CONFORM tab. On my color timeline, however, the clips remains in its native state, ie 0 (ZERO) saturation.

Return to posts index

Joakim Ziegler
on Feb 6, 2013 at 9:29:59 am

The raw settings saturation adjustment is separate from Resolve's color correction saturation adjustment. They are two different things. This is also the case with several other adjustments that do roughly the same thing in the raw settings and in the Resolve interface.

However, you often get better results adjusting the raw settings, for instance, the exposure control is often nicer looking than adjusting gain in Resolve. I'd recommend using raw settings to get your clip roughly where you want it, and then do the finer adjustments, secondaries, and so on with the Resolve controls.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Postproduction Supervisor

Return to posts index

Will Kee
on Feb 6, 2013 at 10:11:21 am

Joakim, I think you've missed my point.

I have changed the raw settings (in the media tab). I have made all the basic corrections to the raw clips (saturation, exposure etc) in the RAW settings in the media tab. Now I want to add some finesse in Resolves 'color' tab. However, the changes I made to the raw footage in the media tab do not show up on the timeline in my color tab.

Clip A in the MEDIA tab has basic color correction. But the same clip A in my color tab retains the original RAW default settings (and therefore remains flat and desaturated like all RAW r3d footage).

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
on Feb 6, 2013 at 5:51:16 pm

Sounds like there is a setting being missed and your r3d's are maintaing the "as shot" metadata on not the adjusted raw metadata.

Instead of "Clip" use "Project" and set your basic setting changes... if you need to make individual clip changes in the timeline, right-click and change the specific clip to "clip".

Return to posts index

Will Kee
on Feb 7, 2013 at 10:29:52 am

I'm not at my editing computer at the moment, but I seem to remember that when I set the clip to 'project' instead of 'clip', the text became solid grey and it wouldn't let me adjust the settings.

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
on Feb 7, 2013 at 3:28:48 pm

Your clips would be like that if set to project, because they should be using the raw settings set in your project settings. Then if they need further tweeking on an individual level you would change the required clips from project to clip.

Also, this is covered fairly well in the manual. Chapter 7, i believe.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]