FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ripple of template for long format shows

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Williams
Ripple of template for long format shows
on Jan 31, 2013 at 2:06:40 pm

I have doing some long format shows where it has been easier for me to build a template of nodes for grading because I have 1300 cuts to get thru in 2 to 3 days and time is important. Each shot is pretty much the same grading procedure. Is there a way to apply this node template to all the clips at the start rather than saving it and dropping it in each clip. Would save me even more time if I could figure this out. Ripple does not seem to accomplish this. Thanks

Return to posts index

Toby Tomkins
Re: ipple of template for long format shows
on Jan 31, 2013 at 2:30:11 pm

Select all the clips in the timeline in theChris is cooking a meal. Peeps coming over here. Color page and drag a saved memory to the timeline.

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
Re: Ripple of template for long format shows
on Jan 31, 2013 at 2:30:11 pm

Just select all the clips in the color page, apply your node graph grade from a still or memory. Alternatively, make a group and set an initial look, and then delete the group. Thirdly, you can try the track mode.

Regards,
Rohit

Return to posts index

Gareth Cook
on Jan 31, 2013 at 4:24:53 pm

Hello Dave,

I understand everyone has there own way of working but why go through that trouble? I work on a hit show right now that has 1500-1900 cuts per episode I get 2, 8 hour days which includes playing out to tape (don't ask me why I'd much rather render) and addressing clients notes. I find treating each shot as its own starting with one node allows me to build as like and if its a repeat shot I just apply the correction from the other shot.

Just curious of how other colorist work.

Gareth

Return to posts index

Ben Scott
on Feb 1, 2013 at 12:06:33 pm

Gareth

would be interested how you have setup working with resolve playing out to tape

we have had very little sucess with the deck control cable
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/277/22287

thanks
ben

Return to posts index

Dave Williams
on Feb 2, 2013 at 11:26:12 am

The and key word you used is "Hit Show". I am assuming that your footage is very well shot. If you have that many clips and going thru it in that short of time you must be doing very little to the grade. When you have footage that is all over the map at least for me I perfer to have my nodes in an order that I can do things with a system where by I can throw on say a vinyette without having to set up the window node with the outside node. Also if I start with two blank nodes I can paralell those nodes to bring down a blown out sky etc. Its just the way I work and for these shows it works for me. When I am doing spots I start from scratch on each shot. The key to coloring and I say this with 32 years of experience is that no two people will do things the same way, just like you probably use things in Resolve that I never use to acheive the same thing. Because I am "Old School" and learned to color back in the day when you had nothing to do it with I perfer a more simple approach and keep it simple, I don't believe in beating a shot to death. I was just looking for a answer with my post to help me do things faster because of the nature of the shows I am working on. I say whatever works for you "do it" because at the end of the day its your work and if you are sucessful then do it the way that works best for you.

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Sep 22, 2013 at 7:54:31 pm

I thought I'd revisit this because some changes in version 10 make this pretty simple.

In version 10, you can create your network and save it as a Power Grade. Power Grades can now be appended with a double click. So if you select the entire timeline and double click on the Power Grade, it will be appended to every shot (the first node will be left in place, but that's inconsequential). That pretty much gives you what you were asking for, and it works with or without the DaVinci control panels.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]