FORUMS: list search recent posts

GUI LUT Any Chance?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Toby Risk
GUI LUT Any Chance?
on Jan 31, 2013 at 1:41:51 am

Hi
It would be really nice to be able to have a 3D LUT applied to the GUI display only.

Currently, as far as I can see all the LUT's affect all the outputs, which is limiting in terms of achieving accurate colour on the colourists monitor and the client monitor.

A seperate GUI only LUT would go a long way to helping this.

Thanks

Toby

Colourist | Editor | Post-Production Consultant -- 23 years at the post-production coalface, and still loving it.

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
Re: GUI LUT Any Chance?
on Jan 31, 2013 at 2:38:28 am

[Toby Risk] "Currently, as far as I can see all the LUT's affect all the outputs, which is limiting in terms of achieving accurate colour on the colourists monitor and the client monitor."

Huh? Sorry to be slow on this one but grading should be taking place on a dedicated, calibrated and accurate reference monitor. While I can see some limited use of applying a LUT to the preview on the GUI I'm not quite understanding why not having this feature is limiting? The action is taking place on output monitoring.

Same goes for a client monitor - a proper client monitor should be in one way or another inline with your SDI output path. Are you using the GUI preview for client monitoring?

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
My Books
Online Training
Twitter
Blog
Mixing Light Powered By The Tao Of Color

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Jan 31, 2013 at 3:58:47 am

Only GUI LUT I'd like is one to make it b/w to keep ppl from looking at it.

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Robert Houllahan
on Jan 31, 2013 at 4:09:45 am

Yep make the GUI B&W totally! Don't look at the GUI.... nothing to see there.... you don't like the GUI image better than the monitor... You don't.....

-Rob-

Robert Houllahan
Director / Colorist
Cinelab Inc.
http://www.cinelab.com

MAHC-PRO 6-Core 2X GTX580 20Tb SAS Wave Panel Panny 11UK SDI Plasma. Light-Space CMS + Hubble

Return to posts index

Toby Risk
on Jan 31, 2013 at 5:01:41 am

Different setup ideas.

If all monitors were perfect then we'd be in heaven but they aren't.
Clients get a nice big plasma with a LUT on it's input to correct for deviation from REC 709. That's a LUT produced by a 4 hour probe on Cinespace with a Klein K10 probe.

If I apply this LUT in Davinci then sure the plasma is equally well aligned but then it affects the GUI monitor, and all the SDI outputs which make the stand alone scopes incorrect.

Although the plasma is colour accurate it's a little too far away for the colourist for fine detail work.

So we'd like a colour accurate monitor on the desk for the grader.

Ideally this would be the GUI monitor to avoid introducing yet another different coloured monitor into the room. Sure I know that there will be differences between the two according to the characteristics of the individual monitor, mainly the respective black points of the monitors, but we have several senior colourists come through here operating exactly this way on Scratch, which allows for seperate GUI and SDI path LUT's.

So yes a GUI LUT would be a very useful addition.

Client monitor with LUT loaded into eeColor LUT box = correct Rec709
GUI display LUT on DaVinci = correct colourist monitor.
SDI output clean = scopes accurate.

Thanks

Colourist | Editor | Post-Production Consultant -- 23 years at the post-production coalface, and still loving it.

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Jan 31, 2013 at 9:21:06 am

you need lut box for every display to be separate. specially plasma. then you can calibrate each monitor separately when you look them on sdi chain. now it seems that you have one lut in resolve that affects all displays. no wonder they look different. fyi plasma is not so good compared to lets say big tft to get it matching with your colorist dedicated tft. different technologies will be always a bit different.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu
https://vimeo.com/iconstudioseu/videos

DaVinci 9, OSX 10.7.4
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Multibridge 2 Pro

Return to posts index

michael stirling
on Jan 31, 2013 at 12:49:47 pm

I use a AJA hi5 to split my output from Resolve to go straight to my FSI 2461w one way and through the eeColor to the projector the other. Works for me.

I guess you could have your internal LUT for your GUI on in Da Vinci THEN generate a new LUT for the client monitor from this output and store it as an option in the eeColor.

M.

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Jan 31, 2013 at 12:59:31 pm

It would be sooooo easy to implement this..
I am asking for that on the Scratch list for years as well.
At least they have the option to load in multiple LUTs, so I made myself a BW one.
But simple button would be so handy.
I mean, I turn my scope screen also to BW.
I think the engineers shoudl spend a day in a grading room with clients breathing over your should comparing screens.
They always do...you can tell them to walk away and only look at the dedicated screen.
And the trouble starts when they like your UI better.

So, i second this request big time...either separat LUTs or a simple BW button...Yes please

A slice of color...

Resolve 9.1.1 OSX 10.8.2

Colorist / Aerial footage producer
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jan 31, 2013 at 5:24:57 pm

[Sascha Haber] "And the trouble starts when they like your UI better."

(this should be read as a LouisCK-ish rant, so proceed with caution)

Hmmm... sounds familiar... where have I heard this before.... oh , yeah, nearly every day for almost 20 years. From before we had dependable monitor-matching... to now when there are almost no standards in place that anyone pays any attention to, or are possibly not aware of, plus we are no longer grading for a well-defined target, which used to be strictly broadcast. And everything, at least here, was 525i. Plus ├ža change...

Sounds like the UI display device should be... maybe at least a calibrated, characterized Dreamcolor, rather than any random $75 Insignia sRGB graphics display from Staples or Future Shop. Okay, the colorspace may be similar to, but it isn't 709.

And I somewhat agree that the UI should probably be monochrome. I use it for conform, tracking and setting up power windows. That is all. Grading with your nose up against the glass is no way to get a sense of the picture values. Close enough, all you see is pure RGB dots, let alone a nuanced, contrast-balanced rendition. It occurs to me that someone who is re-painting every single element in a scene is a graphic artist, not a colorist. But this may be an out-moded world view, which is related to an also possibly dated interpretation of what DP/Cinematographers do.

I mean, how on earth did we possibly function with the text-only displays we had with daVinci Renaissance? event-beep. {static][-1][preview][dissolve] = auto dynamic scene ripple.... woooooo....(the little three-eyed guys from Toy Story, who obviously see in Technicolor).

"I can't work this way!", "no brown M&M's..."

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
on Jan 31, 2013 at 6:24:39 pm

Not to flog a dead horse here, and correct me if I'm wrong, Even if you had an EIZO or Dreamcolor wouldn't it be for naught? As I understand it, the GUI (in Resolve) isn't even designed to represent full color... even with a LUT... I mean, isn't it subsampling the image so as to alleviate resources for the actual monitoring and application of corrections?

That's the impression I always got from the Apple Color GUI preview... and like I said, I could be wrong...

Return to posts index

Kurt Hennrich
on Jan 31, 2013 at 8:12:32 pm

for me the resolve monitor is too bright, disturbing the looking to the projection.
lowering the monitor brightness in hardware is no option because I dont want to fidel around when switching to photoshop etc...
for now I am using the Brightness app (mac) to dim the screen while grading. quitting it sets the brightness back to normal.

so a brightness/saturation control for the resolve interface screen would be wellcomed option.

kurt

Kurt Hennrich
1z1screenworks
1z1 tools for FCP : http://www.1z1.at/plugins/

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Feb 1, 2013 at 1:08:02 am

I know, that my post is kinda pointless, as BM pretty much ignores majority of suggestions from users, like panels mapping, making cache useful, implementation of LOG grading etc, nevertheless...
I much prefer the way FilmMaster and Baselight interface work. Both do not have video image in the GUI. I'd like for Resolve to do the same. The big gaping hole left by removing video image could be replaced by, say, scopes? Then there is no need for two display GUI and the problem with client sometimes preferring the GUI video is solved.
All windows could be created and manipulated only on the main monitor. Also, I'd like to be able to change the main display magnification, if need, without using the zoom controls.
And while we're at it. Lately it feels, that the Resolve updates are issued on an almost weekly bases? Can we slow down a bit and stop issuing updates with only "general performance and stability improvements"? I don't take updates lightly and it takes time to run the new version through it's paces, before I'm satisfied with the new build. I need to run every new build with one of my remote clients in order to be sure, that that part is not broken. Also, some remote grading clients decide to update their Resolve without consulting me and some do ask, before updating. So, now I must keep number of partitions with different Resolve versions, so I have it just in case the client using a different version. I know, it's weird to ask for LESS updates, but sometimes too much is just that- too much. Personally, I find this crazy pace of updates is a bit of a burden.

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
on Feb 1, 2013 at 2:08:37 am

Hey Jake, right click on the node graph background and select "Toggle display mode".
Peter

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Feb 1, 2013 at 4:12:06 am

I just did. Resolve get's rid of the image, which is good, but now, how do I gesturally manipulate windows in this mode without using the panel and more important, how do I draw the freehand shape? Do I switch back to the regular "display mode"? Doesn't switching back to that mode defeats the point of this discussion? I'd prefer in "toggled display mode" for everything to stay the same, with the space, where the video were instead to be occupied by scopes. As you can see in the picture, in the "toggled display mode" the nodes jump to the left and the right side becomes a very big horizontal area for the stills, which still doesn't allow for the scopes, because they would always cover some stills. In this mode Resolve doesn't release additional window real estate. Now it's gobbled up with much bigger stills window. "Toggled display mode" is a good idea and it can work, but right now it doesn't. The stills window needs to be resizable. Couldn't we just get a bit more freedom on the windows position and the sizing? Right now I find GUI layout a bit too restrictive.

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
on Feb 1, 2013 at 8:57:05 pm

Peter,

Something that I've wondered for some time about the Toggle Display Mode, Why does the Node graph jump screen left, and the still store go right?

As much as I like using if for general work until I need the GUI vid display, for whatever reason, I find it very distracting for those elements to switch places, it's as much a muscle memory thing as anything I guess... because I get into one way of working then everything upends itself... I don't mind having to bring the GUI vid back for select functions... I just wish the GUI didn't change so drastically when it was used.

That gripe aside, I do like using it if I can avoid using the GUI Display...

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Feb 1, 2013 at 5:14:39 am

You find there are too many updates? Baselight has new builds on a weekly basis. Don't like the number of updates, don't update. I'd prefer to have to option of updating for support of new cameras and codecs.

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Feb 1, 2013 at 6:16:43 am

That's funny. On every forum there are people who are cheerleaders of the given software no matter what. I realize, that there are some people, that prefer to live on the edge with the latest versions. I'm not.
So, let's see now. Since Oct 2012 there were five updates for Resolve with no less than a decimal number increase from 9.0 to 9.1, which for software is a big deal.
Let's compare this to the Baselight, shall we? Baselight had been running 4.3 for well over a year, may be even two with the 4.4 decimal increase slated for the summer. So, less than four months compared to close to a year and a half or two. Nope, not even close. And while we're at it, if you ever have a chance, please read the Read Me files, that come with every Baselight update. Even the smallest changes are always reflected in it. That's in contrast to the usual "General stability" improvements in read Me file for Resolve. And oh yeah, one more thing. You are guaranteed, that any project created by any version of Baselight are to open by the latest version of Baselight. Do not try to do this with Resolve even with V9 vs V8.
As far as not updating, you completely missed my earlier post about why I prefer NOT to update the software this often. As i said, I'm FORCED to have multiple Mac partitions in order to run multiple versions of Resolve for my remote clients. Thanks for careful reading...

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Feb 3, 2013 at 5:39:53 pm

>I know, it's weird to ask for LESS updates, but sometimes too much is just that- too much. Personally, I >find this crazy pace of updates is a bit of a burden

I don't really disagree, except for one thing: camera support. The rate at which new cameras seem to be appearing, and the fact that many if not most of them seem to have their own unique formats (even more so when you're talking about cameras that support Raw output) is sometimes even faster than the Resolve update cycle. Support for new cameras is very useful for some of us that deal with a wide range of shows that seem to be very unafraid to employ cameras and formats that have been on the market for about 20 minutes. So while the "general stability" stuff is welcome but not quite necessary much of the time, the new camera support comes in very handy.

Return to posts index

Joakim Ziegler
on Feb 6, 2013 at 9:39:31 am

I agree, a GUI LUT would be useful. For everyone saying you shouldn't care about how the GUI looks and not use it, no, it can be useful some times. And it's completely possible to get a GUI monitor calibrated decently close enough to rec.709 primaries and a Gamma 2.2 curve to be useful to grade on, for stuff like quick on-set dailies and such. You need to profile and build LUTs, sure, but it's doable.

While we're at it, I'd love to see the ability to have different LUTs on the different outputs on the DeckLink card, that'd be extremely useful if you've connected one to a video monitor and the other to a projector, for instance.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Postproduction Supervisor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]