FORUMS: list search recent posts

Naming Convention and TC

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Javier Sanchez
Naming Convention and TC
on Jan 30, 2013 at 9:29:50 pm

Hi maybe this is a DIT question but is reaching me as colorist conforming the sequences.

My issue is what should be the tc and name order through days on a filmation.

Example:
Filming in alexa:
Day 1
card 01:
A001C001---- 01:00:00:00
A001C002----.................
Card 02:
A002C001----02:00:00:00
A002C002----...............

Day 02
card 01:
B001C001---- 01:00:00:00
B001C002----.................
Card 02:
B002C001----02:00:00:00
B002C002----...............

The problems appears with: what if they use 2 cameras or 3? what if the tc reach a 24:00:00:00 TC?

Those apply for: Alexa, ArriRaw, Epic Red Scarlet, Sony, "DSLR" (those who have not 00:00:00:00 tc) how ever not aply for Vison research cameras as they are runing free TC.

Any Idea anyone? or i am wrong in the example?

Javier Sanchez
Head Of Technology
Gama Digital

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
Re: Naming Convention and TC
on Jan 31, 2013 at 12:01:39 am

Not sure what everyone else will say, but in my experiance, lettering camera's is more handy for multi camera days... not for days of a shoot, but that's only an issue if you have more than one camera planned for your shoot. I'm a big fan of a folder structure that starts with a Shoot day folder > then your camera base folders... but that is my preference.

Also, as much as the hour/reel(load) is great... Free Run Time of Day can be extremely useful and I believe all of your examples will support that, except the DSLR natively. The THM files can be used to generate TC in a couple of different apps...

Return to posts index

Joakim Ziegler
on Jan 31, 2013 at 11:56:00 pm

The "A" and "B" at the beginning of the clip/card names are camera designators. I have no idea why you're changing it to "B" for day 2, but the correct way to do it is to set up your cameras as A, B, C, etc., and this will just solve itself.

Also, using timecode like that is a bit useless. The clip names (and reel numbers) are unique (as long as you make sure to increment as needed). We've generally found that using time of day free run for timecode is the most useful, since it needs no setting beyond checking it at the beginning of the day, and it's easy to match sound and image even if the camera and audio recorder should for some reason not be linked. You can even jam sync the audio recorder and camera a few times per day, and you'll generally be fine for audio sync.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Postproduction Supervisor

Return to posts index

Joakim Ziegler
on Feb 1, 2013 at 12:00:31 am

Also, for some reason, you're starting your card number on 1 every day, which is also not such a great idea. Maintain a continuous numbering of cards throughout your production. The date is embedded in the card name anyway, so it's easy to distinguish days.

--

Return to posts index

Javier Sanchez
on Feb 5, 2013 at 3:26:39 am

Well i came from TK suites where we use to set 01:00:00:00 to Labroll1 and 02:00:00:00 to labroll2. So i didn't found why it will be useless to have an unique TC for each card as soon as i have no 24 cards.

I understand A B C for naming the cameras, and maintain the C001 continuously from day to day. But the TC i'm not sure, as when conforming some clients send me just the files and if the TC is overlapping one file to other it bring me conflicts, so that's why i ask for new TC on each card.

card 25 will have to be TC 01:00:00:00 again, on my naming convention sys.
Any one could share more experiences? or info...

Javier Sanchez
Head Of Technology
Gama Digital

Return to posts index

Joakim Ziegler
on Mar 28, 2013 at 2:49:04 am

You won't have overlapping timecode problems. The file name is unique, and the reel number should be if you're doing things properly. The file name contains the shooting date. Just make sure your camera has the correct time and date set, and use time of day as timecode. This is the most convenient way to deal with material from larger shoots (like feature films).

--

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]