FORUMS: list search recent posts

720p & 1080p - Mix formats and framerates - R9 workflow?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andrew smith
720p & 1080p - Mix formats and framerates - R9 workflow?
on Jan 30, 2013 at 6:01:00 pm

I just received a fcp7 media managed folder of footage and an xml (no project file). I brought the xml back into fcp7 and got the standard warning about some things being off - i believe it was cut in premiere cs6 as h.264 and then thru xml was brought into fcp and media managed to ProRes - i ignored this warning an what came into fcp is a 720p23.98 sequence which matches back to the offline reference quicktime.

In this timeline matching back to offline reference i was also given, I see a mix of 720p23.98, 1080p23.98 and 2 shots which are 1080p29.97.

They want to deliver at 720p23.98 since most of the footage is that format and its for web so I created a 720p23.97 DaVinci project with mixed frame rates checked (seems to work in 9.0.4 on a previous job). I am curious how best to deliver this back to the editor? I am ignoring sizing on the import of the xml i create out of fcp and ideally i would like to give each shot back in its original frame rate and resolution and framing but I am not sure this will all work out.

I have flagged all the 720 and 1080 so i can render just the 720p flagged in its resolution and likwise for the 1080 material - in theory i believe the native frame rates should render out as well (fingers crossed). I know an xml back to fcp wont be possible this way but i am not sure if i make everything 720 out of Resolve how good that will actually look.

Curious to get some opinions.
Thank you
Andrew

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
Re: 720p & 1080p - Mix formats and framerates - R9 workflow?
on Jan 30, 2013 at 7:30:19 pm

Are getting correct playback? I recently started a similarly formatted show, and couldn't get the the playback to be correct in Resolve (jittery/steped playback, overcranked playback, Chase was under clocked... it was kinda wonky)... So I broke out the 1080i/p material from the 720, and will be working in multiple projects... Not my preference by far, but it let me start working the fastest...

Very interested to see the suggestions you get.

Return to posts index

Robert Houllahan
Re: 720p & 1080p - Mix formats and framerates - R9 workflow?
on Jan 30, 2013 at 8:19:25 pm

The last time I had to do this I Teranex processed all the 720P footage to the delivery format which was 1080i 29.97 I have always found 720P footage difficult to deal with.

-Rob-

Robert Houllahan
Director / Colorist
Cinelab Inc.
http://www.cinelab.com

MAHC-PRO 6-Core 2X GTX580 20Tb SAS Wave Panel Panny 11UK SDI Plasma. Light-Space CMS + Hubble

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]