FORUMS: list search recent posts

color chart for log-c footage?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andrew smith
color chart for log-c footage?
on Jan 29, 2013 at 5:27:31 pm

I know this is a newbie question but I normally dont get footage that actually has a color chart for me to use for grading and I want to know how best to use this.

The footage is log-c arri alexa and at the end of the footage the DP was kind enough to include a few seconds of the color chart! should i be selecting the white cube and then using auto-correct for white balancing or am i misunderstanding how to use this color chart in Resolve to help me out?

I plan to use a lut from arri's website as a starting point and then grading around that lut accordingly to get maximum control/results.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: color chart for log-c footage?
on Jan 29, 2013 at 5:45:30 pm

[andrew smith] " at the end of the footage the DP was kind enough to include a few seconds of the color chart! "

Shot under what conditions, with which lens, exposure, ... etc.?

Its been 6 or 7 years since I last saw a chart... and as it turned out, wasn't exactly scientific, and really turned out to be just a sort of suggestion that the other 75 or 80 LUTs that I developed for that particular project vaguely resembled. Really vaguely. And that's after 12 years of film dailies before that, some with a chart per setup, some with no charts whatsoever. Some were shot very rigorously, in-scene, with the lens that was in use for the setup, with the lighting in place... those are very useful for setting up white point and grey scale, gamma, anti-log curves, you name it. In a practical sense, though, that is rare mostly because there simply is not enough time to do it between shots. (Notwithstanding in the olden days that stock was expensive.)

A chart will tell you about white-point (color temperature) and gamma, if you pay attention to the grey scale -- if it has a reflectance-step, like a Macbeth-Greitag or a Kodak Q-60. But it is only valid for the conditions it is shot under. If somebody shot it as an afterthought in the truck, and maybe even changed lenses (because of some reason that seemed like a good idea at the time), it is totally useless, actually misleading.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

andrew smith
Re: color chart for log-c footage?
on Jan 29, 2013 at 8:10:08 pm

Very insightful thank you Joseph!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]