FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP to Resolve workflow

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Perrin
FCP to Resolve workflow
on Jan 25, 2013 at 4:25:12 am

I am trying to nail down the best way to export projects from Final Cut to be color corrected in Resolve. I find that a lot of times when a client gives me an XML or EDL, it never goes as smoothly as it should when importing the clips and marrying the EDL or XML to them in Resolve. There are always issues with different file types or dissolves in the edit that cause issues when importing color correcting clips. I prefer to correct off the original camera files when possible unless they are lower quality than say a Pro Res file. Since I am not an editor and have limited experience in FCP and Avid, I wanted to see if anyone has some tips on the best way to set up an FCP project so it is easier to work with in Resolve. I want to be able to give editors specifics on what I need from them so I can round trip their project as accurately as possible and give them back something that will be simple and easy for them to import back into their project. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: FCP to Resolve workflow
on Jan 27, 2013 at 5:46:32 pm

[Matt Perrin] " I wanted to see if anyone has some tips on the best way to set up an FCP project so it is easier to work with in Resolve."

Two months ago:
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/277/21965

A little primer and fill-in-the-blanks form. These tip sheets are always a work in progress since the base application is constantly evolving, and approaches to things like ie. mixed framerates, change.

A couple of quick, but by no means exhaustive, notes that aren't mentioned in the document....
Media Manager creates files name-v, name-2-v and so on without a .mov suffix. FCP will recognize these, but Resolve will not. You have to add the suffix and re-link... and then FCP will lose them.

Also any file names that have illegal characters, HTML or path-name characters will confuse the XML and directory pointers and will result in crashes, hung renders and incomprehensible, if not misleading, error messages. A "/", for example, in a file name will cause a render queue to halt and freeze the application if it is imbedded in a job with other clips; rendered singly, it will cause the render to halt and display the error "codec not opened yet".

There are others..........................

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Matt Perrin
Re: FCP to Resolve workflow
on Jan 28, 2013 at 8:04:51 pm

Thanks Joseph! I was looking for a previous thread but couldn't find one. Much appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]