FORUMS: list search recent posts

Remote grading disaster with Red camera.

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jake blackstone
Remote grading disaster with Red camera.
on Jan 24, 2013 at 8:49:33 am

So, today after doing remote grading for close to two years all with Alexa, we finally got a project with Epic material. No biggie, right? The usual Resolve connect and off we go, until my client start complaining about dark picture. On a lark, we exchanged screen captures and sure enough, their picture is dark, while my picture is fine. We checked LUTs and other setting, nothing strange. We decided, that I just send the project over. They load it and their picture now is the same as mine. OK, moving forward. A few minutes later the same thing. Send the project over, picture is fine again. Long story short, after sending clients on an extended dinner and drinks, we finally had figured out, that Resolve doesn't relay the Red metadata changes. It just ignores them. Wanted to roll back the 9.0.4 to 9.0.3, but guess what? The look in the usual wrong place under DRIVERS, where are the older versions live, it's not there!!! Managed to find it, but the result is the same as before. So, in order to finish the job, I adjusted ALL metadata, sent the new project over and never touched the metadata again, done.
So my question to everyone is, does anyone do real time remote grading? It is impossible to not to get hit by this bug, while using Red material, unless no metadata is adjusted. If anyone else does, then how come no one ever experienced this thing?

Return to posts index

Christian Betong
Re: Remote grading disaster with Red camera.
on Jan 24, 2013 at 10:27:46 am

Sounds like a major bug with remote grading RED material. I was just planning to do this myself. Maybe I have to take the old 2K DPX route instead.

Hope Black Magic take notice of this. Have you reported the bug?

Christian Berg-Nielsen
Sement&Betong
postproduction
Norway

Return to posts index

Dan Moran
on Jan 24, 2013 at 3:15:46 pm

We remote grade all the time and its fine. I only ever set the red settings to RedLog Film and leave the rest of the settings as the DOP dialed them in. Send the client the project and go from there works well.

--

Dan Moran
Colourist
Smoke & Mirrors: London
http://www.danmorancolor.com/blog

Return to posts index

Vladimir Kucherov
on Jan 24, 2013 at 4:14:57 pm

This sounds like a big bug that should be fixed. There are all sorts of weird inconsistencies with R3D metadata adjustments. My least favorite in a non remote grading sense:

Apply correction from another shot that modifies the R3D meta, hit undo, the correction is removed, but the metadata is changed and cannot be undone. Have to manually dial it back.

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Jan 24, 2013 at 7:07:30 pm

Yeah, this is not a bug. Peter had mentioned it at some point at the past. Metadata adjustment happens before the grade, so undo doesn't affect it. He promised, that at some point it will get addressed.

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
Re: mote grading disaster with Red camera.
on Jan 26, 2013 at 3:01:47 am

Thanks for the feedback. Remember you can always use davincihelp at blackmagicdesign dot com.

In the meantime both reported issues are on our short list.
Peter

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
Re: mote grading disaster with Red camera.
on Jan 26, 2013 at 6:42:14 am

Glad to hear it Peter, that's on the short list of things to fix.
The reason why I chose the public route, is to spare the grief and embarrassment to any other user, contemplating remote grading work with Red material. Frankly, I was a bit put off, that such a fundamental function of remote grading either was overlooked in QC for two years or not made publicly known. Either explanation is pretty poor, especially when people build their business on a promise, that software functions as specified. I realize, that I may sound a bit unreasonable, but it takes a long time to built a solid professional reputation and it takes just a moment to lose it.
Clients on this job were not amused...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]