FORUMS: list search recent posts

FSI 2461W gamma setting for rec.709?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andrew smith
FSI 2461W gamma setting for rec.709?
on Jan 17, 2013 at 7:57:34 pm

I know the whole gamma debate has been hatched here BUT I am curious to get thoughts from other users of this display - mine is set for 2.2 by default and that is what I have been working with as most of what I do is for broadcast and web. I also turned the backlight setting down to 20. When I have done films i still grade like this and let the producer know i graded in rec709 if they need to deal with making a dcp etc. so far not as they have been indie projects.

I know with the latest firmware a 12bit signal and XYZ format support was added, but I have yet to have to actually use this mode on anything and dont know how the 12-bit thing comes into play if Resolve is sending out 10bit video levels from the decklink3D card.

I am interested in other users opinions.
Thank you
Andrew

Return to posts index

Joakim Ziegler
Re: FSI 2461W gamma setting for rec.709?
on Jan 19, 2013 at 11:29:49 pm

While Gamma is, as many others have surely noted, not really standardized and can be between 2.2 and 2.4, in my experience, it might be better to use a higher gamma rather than lower, for instance 2.35 instead of 2.2.

This is because a higher gamma makes your image darker, and it's generally better if your image looks a bit too bright on another (possibly non-calibrated, consumer grade) display than if it looks too dark. At least with an image that's slightly too bright, you can see everything properly.

At the very least, even if you're grading with your display set to 2.2, it might be a good idea to check things with it set to 2.35 or 2.4, just to see what happens when people watch it on a darker display. It seems a lot of consumer displays have higher gamma and/or crush blacks a lot, in an attempt to get a punchier, "better looking" image. So protect yourself.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Postproduction Supervisor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]