FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Colour Space

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ross Wilson
New Colour Space
on Jan 15, 2013 at 3:19:49 pm

Hi, in the Resolve Camera RAW settings I've had my colour space set to REC 709 as that's apparently the colour space a camera captures in and is the colour space of my monitor and is the colour space of broadcast HD as far as I'm aware.

There is an option for BMD film in Resolve lite 9.0.4 as a colour space, which I tried and is giving a better picture very quickly. Is there a downside to using something other than the REC colour space does anyone know? Am I going to come a cropper somewhere if I keep using this?

Any ideas or advice would be appreciated and for what it's worth the manual does not include this setting..

Cheers

Ross

Return to posts index

Dan Moran
Re: New Colour Space
on Jan 15, 2013 at 10:50:01 pm

As long as you are happy with the picture on the screen then don't worry about anything else, thats my motto!

You can go much deeper into this subject but in a nutshell your monitor is set to 709 so as long as when your finished grading you are happy with this then your all good.

--

Dan Moran
Colourist
Smoke & Mirrors: London
http://www.danmorancolor.com/blog

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jan 15, 2013 at 11:31:17 pm

[Dan Moran] "As long as you are happy with the picture on the screen then don't worry about anything else"

If only that was true...

You probably mean, "as long as you are happy with the picture on the characterized and calibrated 709 screen..."?

Otherwise, clients... feel free to point at the sRGB preview in the UI and say "I want it to look like that..."

But underlying all this is the total anarchy and confusion that desktop video publishing has wrought in the name of democracy when any manufacturer feels utterly free to defy SMPTE, CCIR, et al., and persons unfamiliar with the environment then run around in a panic thinking, I gotta have a LUT, I gotta have a colorspace, I gotta have a screen calibrator that is meant for another industry, "but it says it does what I want" ... errrr, but it doesn't, and so it goes.

But in confusion lies opportunity... like, say... Egypt. or Syria... or, quite a list, actually. Mali, anyone?

jPO

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Dan Moran
on Jan 16, 2013 at 12:44:08 am

Hey Joe!

Your dam right, I assumed all people grading will be on a calibrated 709 monitor rather than just a 709 uncalibrated monitor. So thanks for clearing that up.

I've stopped using LUTs for all cameras now and choose to use the lovely contrast and pivot tool for most of my camera recording color space to something that make me and my scopes happy.

--

Dan Moran
Colourist
Smoke & Mirrors: London
http://www.danmorancolor.com/blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]