FORUMS: list search recent posts

Feature Demand : Please fix the DV I/O

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sascha Haber
Feature Demand : Please fix the DV I/O
on Jan 14, 2013 at 9:55:41 am

Hi guys,

for almost since day one Resolve is out I am trying to convince you that there is something really wrong with the DV codecs in Resolve.
Media Express can play them totally fine but Resolve can either not import them at all, or is doing some weird stuff like removing the fields and basically destroying the image.
I am not even talking about some AVID DV flavour, its the Blackmagic DV codec..
We really need to be able to load those files and treat them in a gentle way.
It takes so much time to go through Smoke all the time.
And of course I also would like to see a way to RENDER in the same codec..
My producer really frowns upon a 60 gig AVID 1:1 MXF file when he gave me a 8 Gig source file ;)

So please forgive me the harsh tone, but sort out this DV mess please...
Pleeeease

A slice of color...

Resolve 9.0.5 OSX 10.8.2

Colorist / Aerial footage producer
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
Re: Feature Demand : Please fix the DV I/O
on Jan 14, 2013 at 2:00:11 pm

Just to illustrate what I am talking about

On the left you see the DV interpretation Resolve (and QT Player) is doing.
On the right you see the file the way Smoke is seeing it, or QT if converted to ProRes 4444 or anything non DV.
It seems Resolve is using the same library QT Player is using, including its weird way of on-the-fly deinterlacing.
Also it stretches the image slightly , not to mention the gamma shifts.

A slice of color...

Resolve 9.0.5 OSX 10.8.2

Return to posts index

Joakim Ziegler
on Jan 14, 2013 at 3:53:08 pm

I don't know about the rest of the problems, but the "half-res" looking thing you're seeing in QuickTime Player is usually fixed by setting playback to high quality. (Properties (Cmd-J), select video track, then Visual Settings and select the "High Quality" checkbox, then save the file). This is often not necessary in many Apple programs, but is necessary to get third-party software to show the file correctly. I've had this problem with ProTools in the past, for instance. Note that I haven't tried it with Resolve, but it's worth a shot.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Postproduction Supervisor

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Jan 15, 2013 at 2:26:53 pm

Interesting idea...but that only changes the QT player, not the way Resolve reads the file.
BUT, if we had the same options in Resolve it might work.
Thats what i am asking for...
DV is such a light codec...
We have 10s of thousands of hours of archive footage in that codec...
I consider it a priority ;)

A slice of color...

Resolve 9.0.5 OSX 10.8.2

Return to posts index

Michael Cinquin
on Jan 17, 2013 at 8:50:10 am

Sascha, you're right, daVinci messes up DV files, makes horrible things with fields even without any blur or scaling applied. We always convert DV to something else prior to daVinci grading.

You could use Final Cut Pro to batch convert DV footage to prores. It works fine. Or compressor.
In my experience you can stick with Prores, you won't lose quality at all. It takes little time to convert because DV is so light for the grading station.

As Joakim explains, Quicktime shows DV with only half resolution (there was a time when Mac didn't have enough horse power to show both fields), unless you check the high quality button in quicktime pro. I don't think it has something to do with Resolve oddities on DV.

But the best would of course that daVinci reads it correctly. So +1 on your request.

Michael Cinquin

Final Cut Pro - Avid Media Composer editor
DaVinci colorist
Color profiles for Color
http://www.michaelcinquin.com/tools : tools for FCP | Color | RED | subtitles | Cinema Tools | Timecode - Keycode calculator | DCP versioning and subtitling

Return to posts index

Joakim Ziegler
on Jan 18, 2013 at 7:27:10 am

No, as I said, if you change this in QT player and then save the file with QT player (Command-S), it fixes the problem for at least some other third-party software. It actually alters the settings in the file on disk. ProTools, for instance, will display blurry, low-res DV files if this options is not set, but will display them just fine after doing this.

Although Resolve might not respect this setting, it's still a setting in the QT file, not just in QT Player.

--

Return to posts index

Michael Cinquin
on Jan 18, 2013 at 4:53:07 pm

[Joakim Ziegler] "No, as I said..."
No wonder I don't post that much on this board these days....

Return to posts index

Joakim Ziegler
on Jan 19, 2013 at 11:19:59 pm

I was answering Sascha's assertion that this setting only affects QT player, as I know it affects other, third-party software. Sorry if that came across as rude.

--

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]