FORUMS: list search recent posts

Redcine-x conform and R3D trim strangeness

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Graham Hutchins
Redcine-x conform and R3D trim strangeness
on Jan 14, 2013 at 12:10:44 am

Hello all,

I'm attempting to conform a sequence cut in FCP with ProRes proxies using Redcine-X to relink to the master R3D media and then exporting that sequence out of RCX using R3D trim and generating an XML for the sequence.

Here's a screen grab of the timeline in RCX:

Everything plays fine and looks as it should.

Here's what I'm getting when I import the XML into Resolve:

along with this error message:

The timeline that is generated in Resolve is missing media and is also duplicating instances of the same shots that are used in multiple places, as if it's only referencing the first instance of that clip multiple times instead of the other instances of the different sections of the clip, as well as removing the space at the head and in the middle of the sequence (it seems to do this regardless of what app I import this XML into, FCP, PP, Resolve, etc.). This seems to be the case for the entire project, places where different parts of the same take are only referencing one clip, as opposed to the multiple clips that were generated.

There are in fact 23 clips and associated folders generated by RCX, but only 14 clips are visible in the media tab and the conform tab. At the Finder level, there end up being a few groups of clips with the same names, albeit in different folders.

I'm sure I'm missing something here either in the conform process in RCX or the import process in Resolve. I have a feeling that the fact that there is a discrepancy in the reel names between FCP and the original embedded metadata may be causing the issue.

Anything anyone can help to illuminate the situation would be greatly appreciated.

My workaround at the moment is to conform and relink to the R3D media in Premiere from the USB 2.0 external backup drives the producer handed me and then media manage the project and copy all the media in the project to a separate internal drive and export an XML from PP to bring into Resolve. I've tested this and it will most likely work for the entire project, but will end up using almost 5x as much data than if I were able to trim the project down with RCX. It's taking quite a bit of time since it's an 87 minute film and, as I stated earlier, the drives are USB 2.0. I'm probably looking at 2.5 TB of data moved, down from around 5 TB for all the R3D masters, as opposed to around 500 GB of data for the RCX trimmed version.

Thank you for your time.

-Graham

OSX 10.8.2, Windows 7
Adobe CS6
FC Studio 3
DaVinci Resolve 9
Octo 2.26GB MacPro, 32 GB RAM

Return to posts index

Graham Hutchins
Re: Redcine-x conform and R3D trim strangeness
on Jan 14, 2013 at 1:29:41 am

**Update**

So I'm moving forward with conforming and trimming in Resolve and skipping RCX. Exported an XML for FCP, added both external drives full of R3D media into the media pool, and then imported the XML as a new timeline and everything seems to work.

Now to use the Trim Red clips function. Here's hoping it works.

-Graham

OSX 10.8.2, Windows 7
Adobe CS6
FC Studio 3
DaVinci Resolve 9
Octo 2.26GB MacPro, 32 GB RAM

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]