FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using Nvidia and Radeon GPUs together for Davinci Resolve?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doru Ondun
Using Nvidia and Radeon GPUs together for Davinci Resolve?
on Jan 13, 2013 at 1:38:05 am

I'm new to this forum and also for color grading.

I'm a PC user, and I'm going to buy a new system. But I saw that DaVinci needs 2x GPUs for monitoring (UI) and processing (CUDA). But I don't have a budget to buy a second GPU. Also I don't want to use the Lite version, because I'm going to work with 2K or 4K sequences.

I'll buy a Nvidia GTX670 for CUDA, but can I use my old GPU (ATI Radeon HD4870) for monitoring?

I also have another question. As I said before I have a low budget right now. So should I buy Intel i5 3570 or i7 3770 CPU? As you see, those are non-"K" versions, because I won't mess with over clocking stuff.

And one more question. Should I buy a motherboard with a DisplayPort or ThunderBolt for future investment (just for using ThunderBolt HardDrives)? Also I heard that I can't use a ThunderBolt HardDrive via DisplayPort. Am I right?

But my main concern is about using different brand GPUs togerher. Btw are they compatible with Davinci Resolve?

Regards,
Doru.

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
Re: Using Nvidia and Radeon GPUs together for Davinci Resolve?
on Jan 13, 2013 at 5:32:35 am

Mixing ATI/NVIDIA on PC platforms is not a good idea. Just drop the ATI card and get the 670/680 with as much GPU RAM as possible. You can use the same GPU for both GUI and processing.

Return to posts index

Doru Ondun
on Jan 13, 2013 at 10:29:23 am

I will buy the GTX670 for mow, 680 is an expendive option for me.

So mixing ATI/NVIDIA GPU's is not possible, right?

If I buy a cheap NVIDIA card just for the GUI, is it going to comfort my GTX670?

BTW what about the i5 and i7 processor options, which one should I buy? Is i7 worth for extra $100?

Return to posts index

Al Arnold
on Jan 13, 2013 at 6:35:38 pm

It is possible to mix ATI and Nvidia cards on the same system, if not recommended. I would invest in a cheap Nvidia GUI card though. Just buy a used one on eBay or NewEgg. Also, definitely invest in the nicer CPU. It will really help with RAW decode. Thunderbolt is good although far from necessary on a PC based system. (Remember you can expand your system with PCIe expansion, and RAID via thunderbolt is far from cost effective on a PC based system right now. You would probably be best sticking with the recommended ASUS motherboards for resolve anyways.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]