FORUMS: list search recent posts

issue round-triping mixed framerates

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon Kraemer
issue round-triping mixed framerates
on Jan 11, 2013 at 7:52:00 pm

Hi all,

Sending a sequence of 29.97 with both 29.97 and 23.98 media through Resolve and back to FCP 7. All seems normal, conform looks good (compared with offline mode, frame accurate), clips come back to FCP with their native frame rate per normal but the 23.98 footage looks very odd on the conformed timeline... like there is a strobe effect applied.

Resolve shouldn't be doing anything here and FCP took the same clips pre-color onto the offline timeline and added 3:2 cadence with no issue. All I can think to try is to break out the 23.98 clips and render them through a separate Resolve project with matching timebase and then conform this back into FCP but this shouldn't be necessary since handle mixed frame rate media is selected.

What might I be doing wrong here?

Thanks,

bk

Return to posts index

Blase Theodore
Re: issue round-triping mixed framerates
on Jan 13, 2013 at 2:51:52 am

check that FCP didn't add any "reverse fields" filters or anything?

Return to posts index

Brandon Kraemer
on Jan 13, 2013 at 2:54:50 pm

Blase,

FCP was not adding any filters like you suggested.

I can confim that seperating the 23.98 footage onto it's own 23.98 FCP timeline and round tripping that through Resolve, then conforming those Resolve renders onto the 29.97 timeline is a workaround and now things play as they did in the offline.

Resolve is doing something to the clips when rendering and this doesn't seem like it should be happening.

Appreciate any help in figuring this out, the work around adds a lot of time to the session.

bk

Return to posts index

Matt Schwab
on Jan 14, 2013 at 7:57:51 pm

I would personally always keep output things on separate timelines and bring them together later in the conform. Perhaps resolve is trying to do the math of making 23.98 to 29.97 which is causing that strobing, and I wouldn't rely on a color program to do that.

Return to posts index

Brandon Kraemer
on Jan 14, 2013 at 8:04:08 pm

Matt,

Thanks for your reply. Splitting out the frame rates did prove a work around however Resolve isn't supposed to render anything with frame rate conversion and it's sending clips back to FCP as both 29.97 and 23.98 as it should but the 23.98 clips look jacked up. In other words I am relying on Resolve NOT to do the cadence math which is the point of the support mixed frame rates option. This way I can have the entire edit on one timeline in A mode order so we can see everything in context.

Great feature... if it works in the end. So unless I am missing something I'd say this feature is buggy.

Anyone else ran into this and found a real solution?

Thanks,

Brandon

Return to posts index

Blase Theodore
on Jan 14, 2013 at 8:24:56 pm

Just curious, did you have the render fields option checked at render?

If it renders the 2997 interlaced, it might also do the same the 2398. At which point you'd just re-render a second pass of the 2398 footage without that checked?

Just a guess. More likely a bug.

Return to posts index

Brandon Kraemer
on Jan 14, 2013 at 8:44:05 pm

Blase,

That is a good guess because I did that initially (rendered the entire sequence as interlaced) and thought it was the culprit so I re-rendered the 23.98 out progressive... didn't change the end result. I did confirm the renders were over-written and that FCP saw them as progressive.

Thanks,

Brandon

Return to posts index

Dave Williams
on Jan 15, 2013 at 7:08:17 pm

Had the same issue but I think 9.3 fixed it for me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]