A slice of color...

Resolve 9.0.5 OSX 10.8.2

Colorist / Aerial footage producer
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: Watch this
on Jan 11, 2013 at 6:21:10 pm

It seems to me it would also be the next logical step for Resolve - make it into a NLE.

(1) It's already got a timeline/conform are with ability to do some simple editing (roll, ripple, dissolves, etc.)
(2) It's used as the ingest point for the BMCC
(3) It talks well to virtually all other programs via EDL or XML

In that sense it would start to challenge Symphony, FCP, PPro, and maybe even Smoke. This is more how I wish Smoke would operate. A standard NLE and then with one click into a different "room" or "tab" you're now in the color correction area that looks like a standard Resolve. You color, jump back to your timeline where you could move to another "room" for effects (could be layer based or node based - either way). It wouldn't surprise me if in the next few years Resolve becomes more of a hub/conduit and starting point for many in the post industry, instead of something that is a cul-de-sac used near the end of the post pipeline.

Just my $.02

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Jan 12, 2013 at 7:44:40 am

Somehow, I very much doubt, that you even seen the way Smoke operates. It is a free 30 day download. You should play with it and then you should opine about it's operation.
On the other point, just being able to cut, dissolve , slip and slide doesn't make an editor. Editing is VERY complicated process and not an easy thing to do. Just ask Apple:-)

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Jan 12, 2013 at 12:16:19 pm

[jake blackstone] "Somehow, I very much doubt, that you even seen the way Smoke operates. It is a free 30 day download. You should play with it and then you should opine about it's operation. "

Quite the opposite actually. I've used SMAC since it went Mac back in 2010. It's a very complex, confusing, yet deep program. 2013 goes along way at making it more "friendly," but underneath the simple veneer of it acting more like a traditional NLE is still the deeply complex Smoke that many have come to know and love/hate. But it holds an interesting model for being able to jump quickly between editing, compositing, and color grading. A model that I prefer over the traditional "suite" of apps pushed by Apple and Adobe where you're perpetually round-tripping or dynamic linking. Staying in one app has its advantages (and disadvantages).

[jake blackstone] "On the other point, just being able to cut, dissolve , slip and slide doesn't make an editor. Editing is VERY complicated process and not an easy thing to do."

I agree. Editing is hard business. It's hard to code for, hard to maintain all the proper OS support, plugin support, drivers, etc. Hard to please everyone from corporate video production to non-profit editors to wedding videographers to Hollywood editors. However, that hasn't stopped BM from moving Davinci Resolve forward at a lighting pace for both major OS platforms and creating a completely free version of this once extremely expensive software.

You may be right. Maybe Resolve is too solid and they don't want to risk it. In that case, BM could make a whole separate NLE app that plays well with Resolve. It seems to me if they continue down the "we make cameras, switchers, mixers, recorders, playback cards, etc" route then at some point they're going to want to make the essential hub that all that data flows into, namely the NLE. So while Resolve may not be the app per se, I think it reasonable for BM to eventually put out a competitor in the NLE space. It's another step in vertical integration for them.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jan 11, 2013 at 9:15:21 pm

....Happier than a colorist with a dedicated Resolve control surface...."

;-) jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jan 12, 2013 at 4:42:50 am

Wow! I would like to see not only Resolve be the next great NLE but have OFX support so that Genarts, Red Giant and other effect plug-in software could be used in Resolve. Also, would like Resolve to have compositing capabilities like Nuke or Fusion, that would bring some real competition to the table.

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Jan 12, 2013 at 8:01:05 am

Resolve does one thing, does it quite well and does it VERY fast. It is the closest thing to a bulletproof software, that exists today. The good reason for that, Resolve is a closed island, not burdened by additional capabilities, using third party plugins or third party hardware. That usually invites more incompatibility issues. Would I like the OFX infrastructure on Resolve? Sure. Would I do it in exchange for slower operation and more software crashes? Nope...
BM done an incredible amount of work improving rountripping to FCP. It is too just about as easy and as bulletproof as it gets. Why use inferior tools instead of using the ones design for a specific purpose. NUKE and AE for compositing, FCP, AVID and PP for editing, Resolve for grading. Or if you insist on one app for all, do try new Smoke 2013. It's not too bad. You may like it...

Return to posts index

Gareth Cook
on Jan 12, 2013 at 6:10:46 pm

How did looking at a commercial with Resolve in the back round turn into this discussion?

Return to posts index

michael stirling
on Jan 16, 2013 at 11:18:36 am

Ha! I guess the 'where is Colouring going and will it exist as a stand alone process in the near future' question is always on the minds of people here.

A nice little ad where the director clearly wanted the edit suite to look more impressive than they actually do.

M

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]