FORUMS: list search recent posts

Davinci 9 Disk vs PostgreSQL Database

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Murray North
Davinci 9 Disk vs PostgreSQL Database
on Jan 9, 2013 at 10:41:29 pm

Just making the switch from Davinci 8 to 9 finally, and trying to work out whether to go disk or database.

We have two resolve suites, and have historically had our server computer running the postgresql database for both those machines.

We plan to keep our server as the central location for davinici projects, but I wanted to know if anyone has any experience in a set up like this.

My inclination is to go disk, just because the files are more 'tangible', even though there is no read only access style feature as in davinci 8 databases. Our operators would seldom be working on the same project at the same time. Any reason not to go disk for us?

Return to posts index

John Tissavary
Re: Davinci 9 Disk vs PostgreSQL Database
on Jan 10, 2013 at 6:16:36 am

If you go DISK you cannot connect from other systems to that database. Each system will be an island unto itself. I just don't see any advantage to that in a typical multi-user environment, but I suppose if you never need access to projects, galleries, power windows, users, etc... from one system to the other then it wouldn't get in the way, but it's pointlessly limiting, imho.

John Tissavary | colorist | owner
The Post Collective

Return to posts index

Murray North
Re: Davinci 9 Disk vs PostgreSQL Database
on Jan 11, 2013 at 3:39:10 am

Thanks John, i'll keep the database going then.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]