FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panasonic Plasma for TV-reference

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Austin Ray
Panasonic Plasma for TV-reference
on Jan 3, 2013 at 5:27:35 pm

We want to buy 2 Consumer TVs to use as reference in our grading suites.

What is the best option for these kind of "monitors"?

We are considering
PANASONIC TX-P50ST50Y
PANASONIC TX-P50VT50Y

Both Plasma from Panasonic. Are they any good? Whats the difference between these two models? They seem almost like identically when it comes to specs, but have a very different price.

We have a Panasonic now from 2010. It has been very good for a long time, but has turned all red-ish and can not be corrected in the consumer menu. Is there anything I can do to correct this?

Return to posts index

John Tissavary
Re: Panasonic Plasma for TV-reference
on Jan 3, 2013 at 5:54:25 pm

The VT50 is the higher end model. Not sure about the exact differences, but I believe there are some biggies - i'd recommend that one.

Panasonic BT300 (42 & 50 versions available) is the industrial / broadcast version geared towards our industry, I've used it quite a bit lately for grading, and can recommend it.

John Tissavary | colorist | owner
The Post Collective

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jan 3, 2013 at 6:33:17 pm

[Austin Ray] "It has been very good for a long time, but has turned all red-ish and can not be corrected in the consumer menu. Is there anything I can do to correct this?"

Not at the monitor. Best you can hope for at this point is to create an output LUT specifically for that monitor... and it will continue to drift.

See other comments from the past couple of months on the use of Plasma monitors in the grade suite. Not positive.

The gist is that all plasma monitors exhibit internal dynamic contrast making them unsuitable for grade.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Jan 3, 2013 at 7:02:46 pm

Yep, I second this.
But they makea great client monitor.
So get yourself a proper EIZO or something calibratable and adjust the Plasma to it.
Every two weeks check it again...
They drift..

A slice of color...

Resolve 9.0.5 OSX 10.8.2

Colorist / Aerial footage producer
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]