FORUMS: list search recent posts

Jump to specific timecode in timeline?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nat Jencks
Jump to specific timecode in timeline?
on Dec 30, 2012 at 9:30:27 pm

Sorry for the very basic question, but cant find this anywhere. How can I jump to a specific timecode in my timeline?

!@#!

Thanks
-Nat

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
Re: Jump to specific timecode in timeline?
on Dec 30, 2012 at 9:57:37 pm

By buying the Resolve Panel

A slice of color...

Resolve 9.0.5 OSX 10.8.2

Colorist / Aerial footage producer
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Dec 31, 2012 at 5:30:35 pm

Seems its another little perk that comes with your $29,000 purchase. Also the ability to mark-in/out a playback review loop.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Dec 31, 2012 at 5:58:17 pm

I think it's just lame :)
It could be uncomfortable ... ok
It could be difficult ... Well, yeah
But it shouldn't be impossible ..
My wish for the New Year :
All the best for the BMD team , their friends an families
...and all functions from the dinosaur on the normal keyboard

Happy New Year :-D

A slice of color...

Resolve 9.0.5 OSX 10.8.2

Colorist / Aerial footage producer
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
on Dec 31, 2012 at 6:56:55 pm

I don't mind paying more for that function, what about a DaVinci Resolve "Pro", that allows us to get not only all functions mapped to the keyboard, but also open to other video cards instead of just Blackmagic's?
You can include the price of a decklink in the final price, but let us choose what we need, and we all win, right?

Return to posts index

Mel Matsuoka
on Jan 2, 2013 at 6:53:52 pm

I sent the following email to BMD in response to a bugreport I had submitted regarding issues with documented, yet non-functional JLCooper Eclipse mappings. BMD responded that there are no plans for making changes to 3rd party panel mapping in the near future, and that that stuff is "lower on the priority list".

This is sort of what I feared with the changing business model of Resolve, where it appears that the strategy is to make the "Lite" version the "freemium" gateway drug for selling the BMD Cinema Camera (as well as Decklink cards), and not necessarily to support established, independent working colorists with existing investments in 3rd party panels.

Thanks for the response,

I definitely understand the dilemma you guys are in regarding 3rd party panels. But I have to say that as awesome as the changes in v9 are, I feel that a HUGE amount of accessibility and functionality (keyboard shortcuts, in particular) have been removed which made working in v8 so fast. Resolve 9 is just slower to work with, now that a lot of critical functions have been moved to fly-out menus or panels with no keyboard shortcut mappings.

The obvious conspiracy theory regarding all this many people have (including myself) is that R9's accessibility & control options were intentionally crippled in order to drive the need for power-users to purchase the full Resolve Panel. But the reality is that a huge majority of your professional userbase (and I'm talking about paid users of Resolve, not the freebie Lite users) simply cannot justify $30000+ for the Resolve panel, especially since the release of Resolve Lite to the masses is causing the perceived value of our hourly-rates to be much lower than it was before the availability of Lite.

If you're open to it, here are my suggestions:

1) Make a "middle tier", higher-priced version of Resolve–$3000-$6000 seems reasonable–that has support for fully customizable 3rd-party panel and shortcut mapping. This way, colorists like myself who could never justify the cost of the BMD panel, yet already have investments in 3rd party panels and want to be able to have more power with them than the current Resolve mappings offer, can have more comprehensive control options. Seems to me that there is probably enough of a market for people like me who need more accessibility, but could never afford the BMD panels, that you'd sell way more licenses of a higher-priced version of Resolve than you probably do selling the panels at $30k a pop.

2) Open up an API for 3rd-party control surfaces. This would shift the burden of 3rd party panel support to the panel developers themselves. Make 'em pay for a license to access the API docs if you have to. I have a set of Tangent CP200s that's now collecting dust on my shelf because Tangent *cannot* support these panels with Resolve, even though Tangent Devices has explicitly stated that they want to be able to support them. Quite frankly, I'm not a fan of the physical response of the JLCooper panel, and wish to God I could use my silky smooth CP200 panels instead. I would be more than willing to pay $3-5k for an "enhanced" version of Resolve that can be controlled via a 3rd-party control-surface API.

Thanks again to you and the rest of the Resolve team for all your great work. All gripes aside, it's truly amazing how far you guys have taken the software in the short amount of time it's been under the BMD roof.

Thanks and Aloha,
mel

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jan 3, 2013 at 4:45:28 pm

[Mel Matsuoka] "I have a set of Tangent CP200s that's now collecting dust on my shelf because Tangent *cannot* support these panels with Resolve, even though Tangent Devices has explicitly stated that they want to be able to support them. "

Same here. I considered Speedgrade, which does support the CP200 series, but as it does not have a third-party external output option, I see that application as a non-starter. Perhaps if Adobe can somehow navigate around tying itself to one nVidia GPU-type it will become a contender.

As wonderful as Resolve is, and carries the *"DaVinci"* cachet, there are some things it does well, some things it does passably well, some not at all... What it did in spades was obsolete $20,000 worth of control panels. Even if I can forgive and write-off/forget, my bank manager doesn't, my landlord doesn't, Canada Revenue doesn't, EPCOR doesn't, ShawCable doesn't, the registrar at NYU doesn't...

I do get it... yes, Tangent can figure out how to get both the ethernet and USB panels to work with APPLE "COLOR", for example, with a unified bridge that allows custom mapping, but you can take it to the bank (at least for the last 6 years with few exceptions) that if a manufacturer states that they are *working with other suppliers to establish compatibility or operability* (if they have their own proprietary offering) that it. ain't. going. to. happen.

jPo

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
on Jan 3, 2013 at 6:50:46 pm

I guess the only option available is Assimilate Scratch, but at $18000 in a post BM Davinci market isn't suitable anymore.
Are people buying the Blackmagic camera anyways? I haven't seen a single thing shot with that, other than some test online, but no real projects so far.
Are colorist going the way the dinosaur went?

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jan 3, 2013 at 9:53:46 pm

[Gustavo Bermudas] "Are colorist going the way the dinosaur went?"

Someone who describes themselves as a "colorist" in a one-trick-pony-sense is going to find it tougher to justify filling such a narrow niche. We are all becoming tracker/roto/composite extensions... and I came to color from an editorial stream anyway...

jPo

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]