FORUMS: list search recent posts

performance drop when using custom shaped power window

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laco Gaal
performance drop when using custom shaped power window
on Dec 19, 2012 at 3:20:55 pm

hi,

does anyone saw a massive performance drop when using custom shaped power windows?
I'm grading a footage where there are mixed resolutions (source files are 5K, 4K, 3K), timeline is set to 1920x1080.
Everything is great - even using circular power windows -, but when a custom shaped power window is present, FPS drops down to 3-4FPS.

Return to posts index

Vladimir Kucherov
Re: performance drop when using custom shaped power window
on Dec 19, 2012 at 7:01:19 pm

Yeah, my performance drops as well. What I'd be curious is - what would make it faster? CUDA gpu, GUI gpu, or CPU?

I'm running a GT120/GTX470 combo in a Mac Pro.

Return to posts index

John Tissavary
on Dec 21, 2012 at 3:37:15 pm

If you want better performance in Resolve it's pretty much always down to the GPU (cuda). Power windows fall into that category. In a macpro you can get a GTX570, which is a definite improvement. But you'll really see an increase in performance with 580 or 680, unfortunately because of Apple's design you cannot put these in the tower, have to get an expansion chassis.

You can also try 'Use optimized display mode during playback', that should improve playback speed considerably.

best,

JT

John Tissavary | colorist | owner
The Post Collective

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Dec 22, 2012 at 7:22:10 am

Well, technically there is no reason why one can't install 580 or 680. The reason why those cards are more difficult to install in comparison to 570 is the power envelope of Mac pro, that isn't enough for those cards. But, if an external power supply is used to power those cards, then they will run just fine with stock MacPro.

Return to posts index

Laco Gaal
on Dec 22, 2012 at 8:02:42 am

The machine has a GTX680.
Would multiple GPUs solve this problem?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]