FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media pool behavior/trimmed R3D relinking?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Cannon
Media pool behavior/trimmed R3D relinking?
on Dec 13, 2012 at 11:46:02 pm

I have a Red project where I graded using remote versions throughout, and lots of source settings, after an XML import. Then the drive I was working from needed to leave, but I wanted to keep a copy of the R3D. I decided to test the trim R3D function, which behaved as expected, I ended up with a folder of properly named R3Ds with proper timecode. The last couple steps of the trim R3D process outlined in the manual are to delete all the R3D media from the media pool and then add the resolve-trimmed media.

I went to do that, but when I delete all the clips from the media pool, it deletes the clips from the master session (losing all the grades). That wasn't how Resolve behaved up until 9, right? It used to give you a blue X, and if you then added acceptable media into the media pool, it would fill in the blue Xs in the master session. That was kind of useful in a situation like this, swapping media where different folder structures etc. kept "change source folder" from working well. Is there an easy way in 9 to replace the media in the media pool with the trimmed clips, while keeping the master session grades intact?

Otherwise, maybe it would be useful for the Trim R3D function to have a "preserve source directories" level so that the whole set of media it creates could be more easily relinked using the change source folder command, leaving the media pool intact? It's a little funny that the "Remove selected item from Master Timeline" command is still in the right-click menu when that appears to be the default behavior now.

Cheers,

KC

Prehistoric Digital

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
Re: Media pool behavior/trimmed R3D relinking?
on Dec 14, 2012 at 9:17:44 am

I would recommend making a copy of the grades, do the Trim, and replace the clips, and then use Colortrace to copy back the grades.

You can switch off the option to automatically create the master session, and keep it in sync with the media pool to get back the V8 behaviour. However, in this case since your source clips will be of a shorter length, they won't replace the "blue" clips left behind in the master session.

Return to posts index

Kevin Cannon
Re: Media pool behavior/trimmed R3D relinking?
on Dec 17, 2012 at 11:04:57 pm

Thanks Rohit,

That should still be helpful on some other projects where the media in the pool is shorter than the original media (because it was trimmed). I'll spend a little time testing that behavior and how it might help us to switch between managed media and full original media.

Cheers,

KC

Prehistoric Digital

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]