FORUMS: list search recent posts

Feature request : Tangent Elements LOG mapping

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sascha Haber
Feature request : Tangent Elements LOG mapping
on Dec 13, 2012 at 9:31:55 am

The Mapping of the Elements is very clever.
Most of the Tools in the Box are covered and nicely placed on the surface in logic groups.
The only thing missing is the LOG tab
And instead of it hiding among the other menus on the Knobs panel it would be awesome to switch from the 3-way color tab to the log tab with the B button on the ball panel .
The ball on the transport panel could then cater for Offset too.
Also I feel the Contrast slider should be placed in the primary controls.

A slice of color...

Resolve 9.0.4 OSX 10.8.2

Colorist / Aerial footage producer
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
Re: Feature request : Tangent Elements LOG mapping
on Dec 13, 2012 at 6:19:45 pm

I think it would also be great if the Eclipse Trackball "bolt-on" (the Eclipse NX) could be mapped for this also... then maybe there could be a place for the NR or other Log controls for those wanting that functionality...

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Dec 17, 2012 at 7:42:16 am

Again, BM tries, unsuccessfully I might add, reinvent the wheel. Traditionally LOG grading is done with TWO trackballs. I'm not aware of any other grading systems, that uses FOUR trackballs. Existing THREE trackballs are plenty enough for proper LOG operation. Needless to say, number of trackballs has nothing to do with BM 's desire NOT to allow LOG operation on any panel beside the BM panel.

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Dec 18, 2012 at 3:41:50 pm

Well, if you really want to get down to it, "traditional" log grading was done with four rotary knobs, one each for red, green, and blue, and one master. That was the way the Hazeltine color timing device was designed. In the digital world, you've got both exposure/contrast and shadows, midtone, and highlight control sets on both Baselight and Lustre, so that gives you at least 3 controls as well as the "alternate" exposure and contrast controls.

The DaVinci panels have had four trackballs for years, with the fourth one mapped to multiple functions, such as moving windows around, resizing and reshaping them (in the case of a LPW), picking colors for qualification, and doubling as a mouse cursor controller on the GUI. Personally, I don't have any problem with using the fact that the fourth trackball was already in the design to allow for more functionality. I guess you do. Or is your real problem with it that they have chosen to not map it to 3rd party panels, at least so far?

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Dec 19, 2012 at 8:41:17 pm

No Mike. What you're describing is optical timing. I was talking about Log grading used in color grading and DI. Traditional Log grading ALWAYS was done with TWO trackballs- Brightness/Exposure and Contrast. See all other grading platforms, like Baselight, Lustre and FilmMaster. The third trackball is always assignable to one of the traditional three way grading controls. By your logic, why not use FIVE trackballs? More is better, right? And no, I don't have a problem with four trackballs. My issue is with the whole Log grading implementation. Affected preset ranges are way to narrow, adjusting ranges until they intersect causes one of the controls to stop working altogether and, if one is not careful, it is very easy to induce noise and create "solarization" effect.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]