FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac Pro + ATI 5770 + DaVinci Resolve 9?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lee Warner
Mac Pro + ATI 5770 + DaVinci Resolve 9?
on Dec 11, 2012 at 4:57:04 am

I recently won a copy of Resolve 9. I normally use the color correction mode in Avid Symphony for day to day work, but I was looking forward to checking out Resolve.

But.....
Mac Pro has the stock ATI 5770 & Nvidia currently isn't in the budget.
HD-SDI is done via a Matrox MXO2 and outputted to a FSI monitor.

Is it worth installing Resolve? I can't really see what I'm doing without the HD-SDI output & it sounds like I would really need the GPU that comes with the Nvidia cards.

I'm planning on picking up a Mac Book Pro next spring for road work. My door prize Resolve came with the Thunderbolt to HD-SDI mini-monitors. What's Resolve like on a Mac Book?

Lee
SamDog Digital Post

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

David Baud
Re: Mac Pro + ATI 5770 + DaVinci Resolve 9?
on Dec 11, 2012 at 6:36:20 am

[Lee Warner] "Mac Pro has the stock ATI 5770 & Nvidia currently isn't in the budget.
HD-SDI is done via a Matrox MXO2 and outputted to a FSI monitor.

Is it worth installing Resolve?"

Here is my system:
MacPro 4,1
ATI Radeon HD 5770
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
Decklink Studio
FSI 2450 monitor via HD-SDI

I usually run DaVinci Resolve 9 with this system. Recently I had the nVidia card that failed. I was in the middle of a grading project and I sent the card back to EVGA for replacement. To my surprise I was able to run Resolve with just the ATI card: I did not get the realtime I would get with the nVidia card in but I was able to work. One requirement was to run Mountain Lion (I checked with 10.7.5 and it did not work). So in your case the only question would be to find out if Matrox MXo2 would work with Resolve... which I don't think is officially supported for some obvious reason ;-)

Good luck,

David Baud
Post & VFX
KOSMOS PRODUCTIONS
Denver - Paris
http://www.kosmos-productions.com

Return to posts index

Bernardo Brik
on Dec 11, 2012 at 12:39:50 pm

Hi David,
How do you manage to power both the 5770 and the GTX 570 on the Mac Pro?

Return to posts index

David Baud
on Dec 12, 2012 at 1:23:55 am

Hello Bernardo,

There is two power supply ports on the logic-board. The ATI needs only one power connection whereas the nVidia needs two. So one power port goes to the nVidia and the second power port is split between the nVidia and the ATI. (you need a power adapter Y-splitter) What you need to make sure is that all your PCI cards are not drawing power over the PCi-Expres spec. limit. Using a little software utility like iStat you can easily monitor the power draw on your PCI bus.

I hope this help,

David Baud
Post & VFX
KOSMOS PRODUCTIONS
Denver - Paris
http://www.kosmos-productions.com

Return to posts index

Bernardo Brik
on Dec 12, 2012 at 5:27:39 pm

Hi David, thank you for your answer.
I have a few more questions, if you have the time...
Do you think this setup gives you a good boost in performance compared to having just the GTX 570?
I run iStat Menus which says that my nVidia is drawing 4.0 A and the Decklink 1.0 A, I also have a e-sata card that is drawing 0.0 A. Is this inside the specs?
Which slots for nVidia and ATI?
Thank you again,
Bernardo

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]