FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red Epic Green screen footage

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andrew smith
Red Epic Green screen footage
on Dec 8, 2012 at 4:13:42 pm

I have a project with 5k Epic footage all green screen and I want to make sure my workflow is correct.

The AE artist doing the keying wants to get back 5k tiff sequences from me which shouldn't be a problem for my system in that I have rendered 5k ProRes444 in the past, but in terms of 'best practices' I just want to make sure I do the grade correctly.

Working in a 1080p 23.98 project:

As a starting point for grading I was going to set the R3D settings to:
Color Science: 2
Color Space: REDcolor3
Gamma Curve: REDlogfilm

I will probably look to see first what the footage looks like just on camera metadata vs. REDcolor3/REDgamma3 just to see if its a decent starting point on either or not but usually I like to start with the above mentioned log settings so I can just have more control over the starting point.

If I decide to do REDlogfilm my first node will be a slight s-curve to get it from Log to something to grade with, followed by a balance node after as a starting point. I was then going to do a key of the green-screen background and desaturate completely in order to have an unbiased grade to work with. After this node I might have a further balance node if need be followed by any secondaries for clothing or skin tone if needed. After grading i would then turn off the desat node for the green screen and render out 5k tiffs for the AE artist to key and composite with.

I am curious to get some feedback from people about whether or not this is an advisable workflow or not, and if there is anything I am missing.

Looking forward to your feedback!
cheers
andrew

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]